Scanner on Host or guest

Dane

Question

So, I am wanting to reinstall stablebit scanner and have a slight dilemma.  The machine that the pool is installed on is on is a Hyper-V VM.  Should I install scanner on the VM or on the Host? Does it even matter?  Any help appreciated.

10 answers to this question

Depends on the specific setup.

If you're going to be passing through disks, then .... ideally both.

The host can get SMART data from the drives (even if they're offline), but it can't easily scan the drives (there is away, but there is absolutely no throttling when scanning, which can be a problem).  

However, the guest OS can scan just fine and throttle the drives properly. But it can't get SMART data from the passed through disks (HyperV's doesn't support this, unfortunately).

Ok, so best bet for me is to install on the guest since I have never been able to get smart data from the drives, not sure if it is the raid card or sas expander. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Ah, okay. That makes thing simple. :)

And it would be the RAID Card, not the Expander that influences this (it's basically just a "SAS" switch for the controller card, allowing more drives).

And you were using the LSI based controller still, right?
And the Unsafe DirectIO option never worked?

Well never mind lol, just tried enabling unsafe io and guess what, I am getting SMART data now.  Admittedly, last time I tried was a long time ago, when I had to edit a file to enable unsafe io.  Thanks for the poke on trying that again Drashna.

Dell perc H310 now, which I believe is still an LSI based card. No I could not get the data, but that was several years ago, so might try again. 

Yeah, it is a rebranded LSI card, basically. :)

Well never mind lol, just tried enabling unsafe io and guess what, I am getting SMART data now.  Admittedly, last time I tried was a long time ago, when I had to edit a file to enable unsafe io.  Thanks for the poke on trying that again Drashna.

And ... well, glad to hear it. And yeah, a lot of people were having issue with the config file, and got Alex to move it to the UI. :)

And glad that it works now. (shamelessly:) And you can get a second license for a discounted price. 

https://stablebit.com/Buy/Scanner/#existing_customers

Though, no obligation to do so though. Just in case you want to. 

Well I did buy another license, to find out that I already had a second scanner license.  Is there an easy way for me to unregister  the license that I forgot about so I can use it on another computer? 

Well I did buy another license, to find out that I already had a second scanner license.  Is there an easy way for me to unregister  the license that I forgot about so I can use it on another computer? 

Yeah, shouldn't be a problem.

If you could open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contact, we'll handle it there.