Amazon CloudDrive - currently safe to use?

thnz

Question

Is it safe to use Amazon CloudDrive at the moment? Looking in another thread it appears you guys have been having data integrity issues wih it. I'm planning to use it as a 'duplicate only' drive alongside DrivePool for backups, but am a bit worried as to how safe my data will be.

I've been looking out for a product like this for a long time - the ability to have a cloud hosted virtual hard drive with local caching. It's great to finally see one under development, and its looking very promising so far. All going well with the trial, you guys will be getting another sale shortly.

5 answers to this question

Honestly, we're not sure yet.

We're pretty sure the Amazon Cloud Drive issues are server side, and not related to our usage (official API).  

However, if this is the case, it represents a SERIOUS issue with the service, that affects "normal users" of the service. 

At this point, I would recommend it for non-critical data. (also, you can always run a full chkdsk pass or manually initiate a surface scan in Scanner to ensure everything is already). 

No, it shouldn't. 

In certain cases, it should check the time stamp on the files, and then it's checksum to ensure they're the same.

Though, with Amazon Cloud Drive, it may be a good idea to enable the "DrivePool_VerifyAfterCopy" option:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings

It was uploading allright to begin with, but now its been stuck at 3.08GB left to upload for quite some time. Seems to be chucking lots of yellow 'thread was being aborted' and blue 'the write operation failed, see inner exception' messages in the client, and lots of repeated warnings in the log file.

Amazon Cloud Drive.log

Edited by Christopher (Drashna)
Copied to txt file