The Largest Stablebit Drivepool In The World!!

RFOneWatt

Question

Someone has to have it, right?

How about we start with the largest pool of the members that participate here?

I'm taking an uneducated guess that theoretically Drivepool should scale indefinitely (or to some insane limitation imposed by the O/S, hardware or something else) however we all know the real world is where it's at, yes?

I'm sure I'm nowhere near the largest but I've maxed out my Norco 4220, and then some.

It's NOW time to start building the successor! 

dp.6-2015.JPG

Would love to see what everybody else has going on!

~RF

How can it scan the whole disk is it has areas unaddressable by the operating system though?

The Seagate archive drive is 8Tb shingled + an additional 20Gb non-shingled used for writing / temporary storage while re-shiningling

at any given time that 20Gb non-shingled slice could be mapped to any of the shingled blocks on the 8Tb disk.

so if you check a block is readable, how do you know whether you are getting the shingled block or the temporarily-mapped non-shingled one?  (and obviously missing the other)  since all of the block virtualisation is handled within the disk.

maybe an 8Tb block is unreadable .. but at the moment scanner asks for it , there is some hot data sitting in the 20gb storage space waiting to be written to the shingled area and it gets that instead?

Could you provide a link on the documentation about this 20GB cache? 

And yes' it's a cache.   And i'm not finding any documentation that indicates a 20GB non-shingled cache... only the 128MB cache on the drive (which is normal for ALL drives, and would present the same "issue", which I do believe that is being taken into account). 

And IIRC, the surface scan issues ATA commands to read from specific LBA addresses on the disk.  These shouldn't be cached, IIRC.

But if it is doing that, then it would be good to know, and if we need to work around it.... well, that would be something we need to look into. 

Well here is a pic of my Drive Pool all 127TB, I am currently trying to find a proper server rack or something to increase size even greater because at the moment I'm using an 8 bay JBOD (1hdd in that, rest in  desktop) that is a little finicky and want that ability to just pop in more harddrives when needed.

Drivepool.png