I was a fool, so now how can I mcguyver a solution.

firebretha

Question

so I got tight on funds and was unable to expand my storage and now things are a bit maxed out, Realllly, maxed out....

Hardware, 
128gb SSD
1tb
1tb
2tb
3 tb
New 4 tb on standby

I just installed the SSD, everything is working well. pool has been restored. But where the problem comes up is I only have 5x Sata ports which are all occupied. I wanted to pull a 1tb out and put the 4tb in its place. 
I have duplication running on most of my folders (im a vid/photog). 1.9tb is duplication
free space is about 46gb as of now. I cleaned off all backups from all terminals and have been removing un necessary files/folders, but I know I sadly don't have 1tb of data I can clean up. 

is it possible to physically remove a TB drive, 4tb in its place and then "remove from pool" the other 1tb drive?
just thinking outloud random ideas. 

just trying to see if its possible to somehow jerry rig a solution. 

Thanks for your thoughts!!

3 answers to this question

Idea, I can do in another desktop. 

Copy all the contents from the 1tb to the 4tb and then slap the 4tb into the server?

"Adding a drive to the pool is quick and easy. You can add a drive with existing data already on it, or a brand new unformatted drive."
http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Adding%20a%20Drive%20to%20the%20Pool%20/%20Creating%20a%20New%20Pool

...the obvious solution IMHO is to attach the 4TB that is currently on standby to the pool and then remove the smallest drive from the pool (which should migrate the data over, wouldn't it).

You could use a USB case to do that or use another computer and provide the disk "raw" via iSCSI.

Once the data is migrated (or even before that), swap the physical location of the drives.

That is definitely a tight situation.

I think the best bet here may be to use the "Disk Usage Limiter" balancer, to evacuate the unduplicated contents of one of the smaller drives.  This will cause StableBit DrivePool to handle all the juggling of data around.

This may take a while, depending on your situation.  Once it's completed, there is a "duplicate data later" option when removing a drive. Use this.  Then once that disk is removed, add the 4TB drive.  

This should get you the results you want.

Otherwise, you could just pull one of the 1TB drives, remove the missing disk from the pool, connect the 4TB drive, and then copy the data over the network, back onto the pool (it should be located in a hidden "PoolPart" folder).