Rapidly increasing uncorrectable sectors on SSD

dolsey01

Question

I have a fairly old SuperTalent 64GB SSD FTM64GX25H that the unconrrectable sector cound it increasing daily.

Last week it was at 163624 uncorrectable sectors and today it's at 164953. 

In the WHS Add-In is shows me 16KB and 32 sectors un-readable.  I ran SSD Life on it and it comes back as Healthy at 96% health.

If WHS didn't have issues with drive imaging I would just image it and replace it but since I have to re-install I don't really want to at this point.

Question is which to believe?  and should I be concerned?                                                                                                  

5 answers to this question

Is this from the SMART data?

Or is it from the surface scan?

StableBit Scanner S.M.A.R.T. Warning on "SERVER". One or more disks are suspect:
  • FTM64GX25H ATA Device - 1 warnings
    • These are currently 165755 uncorrectable sectors on the hard disk. An uncorrectable sector is counted when the drive cannot read or write to a sector. This can indicate mechanical drive trouble.

Ah, okay.  yeah, I'd replace the drive.

I'm not 100% sure here, but I'd guess that the drive is out of "slack space" for remapping sectors (or never had any), and the nand cells are degrading (becoming uncorrectable/unreadable).  

RMA the drive if it's still under warranty, or stop using it for anything critical. 

If you are using this for the system disk in WHSv1 (then I'm not surprised, as it doesn't support TRIM commands, IIRC), then yeah, cloning is a bad idea. However, you can do this: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20090411184621/http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Migrate_Shares_and_Backups_to_New_System

If you are using this for the system disk in WHS2011, then you can use the Windows Server Backup function to backup the system disk to a dedicated drive (not the pool), and then restore to a new system disk.

I wasn't sure, since you didn't specify (or mention anything that would have been "telling" to what version).

And yeah, that method is rather simple (just make sure you have the install disk somewhere).  And the only caveat, is that the destination drive needs to be the same size or larger than the original disk.