Connecting to DriveScanner on other Subnet

tomm1ed

Question

Have installed DriveScanner on 3 separate servers, 2 in Subnet A and 1 in Subnet B. All have Remote Access enabled. The DriveScannerUI on the servers in Subnet A can automatically see each other, is there a way to manually add the server in Subnet B to the UI on 1 of the servers in Subnet A?

3 answers to this question

I don't think that's possible. I've asked Alex (the developer) just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure you can't.

Specifically, because of how subnetting works, you can't see or communicate with systems not in the same subnet.

However, you could try manually adding the "peers" for the Remote Control feature.

This is for scanner, but the feature works the same:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings#RemoteControl.xml

But I am pretty sure this won't work as well.

I don't think that's possible. I've asked Alex (the developer) just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure you can't.

Specifically, because of how subnetting works, you can't see or communicate with systems not in the same subnet.

However, you could try manually adding the "peers" for the Remote Control feature.

This is for scanner, but the feature works the same:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings#RemoteControl.xml

But I am pretty sure this won't work as well.

Thanks for the response!

Copied C:\Program Files (x86)\StableBit\Scanner\Service\RemoteControl.default.xml to C:\Program Files (x86)\StableBit\Scanner\Service\RemoteControl.xml 

Added an entry for the machine on the different subnet (IP address anonymised):

<Peer>w.x.y.z</Peer>

and then restarted the service.
This did not work unfortunately, the machine does not show up. I changed it to a FQDN and it still does not show up, even stranger; the localhost now does not show anymore! Just the other computer on the same subnet
For now I have deleted the RemoteControl.xml  and am able to connect to the localhost once more. Should I open an incident for this?

[update] I forgot to enable RemoteControl for the machine on the different subnet. I recreated the RemoteControl.xml file and now the machine on the different subnet shows up (hurray!) but....the machines on the local subnet (including the machine I start the UI on!) do not show up anymore, just the remote machine. I tried adding the local subnet machines manually but to no avail. Any insight?