metabrowser

McFaul

Question

Hi,

Actually i have this exact issue from the old forum from two years ago:

http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/1170/metabrowser-stablebit-

The program metabrowser is quite popular for managing movie collections.  it can download cover art and trailers and rename the files and folders.

All my movies live on my drive pool.  If i process a movie with metabrowser, it an create the new files, jpg, nfo, etc.  it can also rename them to the correct name.. i.e. "Terminator 1999 (DVD).mkv"

But then it tries to rename the folder from whatever the current folder name is; to match the movie naming i.e. "Terminator 1999 (DVD)"  at which point it fails to rename the folder, because "a folder with that name already exists".  when it clearly does not.

Any advice?

(if you want to try and replicate the issue / see if metabrowser is re-naming folders in some non-standard way, there is a free trial available here: http://themetabrowser.com/projects/metabrowser-v2/wiki/Trial)

Thanks in advance and do let me know if you need any further info!

Chris

PS i should have mentioned, i can manually use explorer to just go and re-name the folder, and that works ok, but with a lot of movies that's a very slow way to do things when i own a program that automates it!

Now the wiki page doenst load at all and just says "A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software."

and yes, i am running stablebit scanner, im including the scanner logs in the zip too

We were updating the Wiki at this point, I think.

We were experiencing an issue where the page contents where not reliably showing up.  

We'll take a look at the BSOD in a bit, but if it's the same as posted above, that's an issue with the 3ware controller, or a drive connected to it.

As for the renaming issue, Alex has identified and fixed the issue.

If you could download the newer version:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.626_x64_BETA.exe

Hi,

Yeah it just seems like a strange coincidence that it was been stable for 9 days and the same day i installed the drivepool beta has it started crashing on a daily basis, for 5 days, and always at the same time.

it's 11pm here , so as a test I've uninstalled both scanner and drivepool and lets see if the server survives until morning - since its crashed consistently every single night between 1-2am, hopefully this will rule in / out anything to do with stablebit!  if it still crashes even without scanner/drivepool i do actually have a second PSU i can add to the system tomorrow to try and rule out power issues.

I'll test the new beta tomorrow morning and let you know how i get on with the renaming!

Thanks for your help

Chris

Ok,

Having totally uninstalled DP and Scanner, my server did not BSOD between 1-2am last night, the first time in five days its made it through the night.  hopefully the dump file i sent you will give some more clues.

I've just put the latest beta you linked to on, and that did indeed fix the renaming folder issue in metabrowser, so well done Alex!

Chris

Hi,

Scanner i told it that it could scan at any time - since its a media server and its got a beefy enough processor it doesn't matter what its doing or when from my point of view.

it was set to scan file system on the disks daily though, but i still wouldn't have thought that could trigger the driver to crash, or indeed at what time it would do that. if it turns out to be scanner causing the crashes that'll be the first thing i'd toggle.

On Drivepool, some folders are duplicated, some are not.  but the status bar is green - duplication is all finished, and its all balanced, so in theory drive pool shouldn't actually be doing anything?  (unless it surreptitiously doublechecks the duplication in the middle of the night?) and my understanding is that scanner is more likely to BSOD than Drivepool?

Server has now been up for about 24 hours.  I've left that beta of drivepool , which fixes the renaming issue (which is already being a big help!), installed,  and for tonight im leaving scanner uninstalled.

It should be about 4 hours until it crashes if its going to....

So.

With Scanner uninstalled, but with Drivepool beta installed.  It did crash overnight.

Whats interesting, is that it is did it later than i was expecting.  this time it was between 5-6am rather than 1-2am.  Which makes me realise its not crashing at a certain time, its crashing after its been on for about 19 hours (since it was a sunday yesterday i got up and installed drivepool much later, at about 10-11 am rather than the 6:30-7am than i've been rebooting it on a weekday when i get up for work.

its lasted 19 hours 22 minutes, and 19 hours 27 minutes, before crashing.

I'm taking the drivepool beta off now, and i'll reboot to check and see if it survives 24 hours (since im no no longer sure about it living through saturday night since it wasnt running for a full 24 hours, i had assumed it was crashing at a certain time rather than after a certain up-time, now i need to redo the test and wait for a full 24 hour)

Chris

Ok, all Drivepool and scanner stuff is uninstalled and the server is up at 9am Monday morning.

So if it is still alive tomorrow morning, then its got to be drivepool.

If it crashes at around 4:30am tomorrow, then i need to look elsewhere!

I'll keep you posted :)

That's.... really odd.

There are three places I'd look here...

Run a memory test. Use whatever tool, but run an extended test, and let it run overnight.

Run a CPU test, use whatever benchmarking tool or Prime95, or whatever.

Check the system drive. Run StableBit Scanner, and do a burst test overnight. See if it errors out. Or run the manufacturer's tool to check the system drive.

Also, check the Event Viewer. See if there is anything that happens specifically, right before this happens.

And check the Task Scheduler... maybe it's kicking off a task that is triggering this.

Yeah it is super odd.  

At the moment its been up exactly 12 hours, so i'll hold off doing anything until tomorrow when it will have been up for 24 hours (hopefully!).

I do use it for video conversion sometimes, which maxes out all 4 cores at 100%, so that'll make a handy CPU stress test.

The system drive is a samsung SSD and shows as being healthy, but that will be easy to test.

I cant see anything in task scheduler which looks out of place, or that triggers either anywhere near the time of the crashes, or after about 19 hours and 20 minutes of uptime!

Did Alex get a chance to look at the dumps? (Since i have no idea what im doing with those).

Anyway, almost bedtime here, i'll post again in the morning if its made it through the night, or not...

I did see a bunch of driver related errors in event log; ive uploaded the event log, not that it tells you a huge deal (mcfaul.evtx); there's no hint of whats triggering it, just that the driver crashes!

The card defintiely isnt overheating - its 35C and has a fan blowing directly on it.

However i have realised the card actually has a fairly out of date firmware! (D'Oh) im sure i checked it was the latest but i must have misread since its got 4.10.00.021 and the latest ends 27...  

I'm not going to restart it now, but i'll update it tomorrow and see if that affects it.

Right, bedtime, lets see what i find in the morning!

So yeah, without drivepool, the server survived the night and has been up for almost 24 hours now.

I've updated the firmware and put the release version of drivepool back on (just to see that it isnt drivepool per se, but the latest beta, which was when the crashing started)

So lets see if it can survive 24 hours with just ordinary drivepool on.

Well, thank you for posting the event viewer logs.

From the looks of it, the 3Ware driver was having some issues right before the bugcheck (BSOD) occured. 

If the firmware update helps, then that's great!

Otherwise, please do upload the crash dump (C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP), and maybe the minidumps (the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump), so we can take a look at what is going on. It may give us a clue as to what is happening exactly.

Hi,

I did upload the mini dumps and memory.dmp on the 19th - mcfaul.rar, post 26 in this thread.

For the moment it ran for 24 hours with no issues and no scanner or drivepool yesterday until today.

Now ive put drivepool 2.1 (12 hours ago) on and am waiting to see if it lasts for 24 hours - which im hoping it does since it ran for more than a week with this version previously.

If it does then i'll upgrade to that 2.2 beta on, turn on the drivepool troubleshooting/logging so we can see if that makes it crash.  in which case i'll be able to give you the mini dump, the full memory  dump, and the drivepoool logs all at once, so hopefully we can see what stranger interaction between the 3ware driver and drivepool is causing BSOD.

Chris

Ah, okay, there were in the "wrong" folder on our server. That's why I was having issues finding them. Sorry. 

And from the sounds of it, it does sound to be very related to DrivePool (or at least triggered by).

I've flagged the dumps for Alex, and he'll take a look at them.

But they're definitely related to the 3ware card, from the looks of them.

Edited by Christopher (Drashna)
https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/17697

Hi,

As i suspected, with 2.1 , its running fine and its been up 24 hours.  Its just 2.2 beta which is causing the 3ware driver to BSOD.  Which  makes it even stranger.

Hopefully Alex can see why from the dumps.

Hi,

the two you posted in this thread

initially this one:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.625_x64_BETA.exe

which didn't fix the renaming issue;

and then this one:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.626_x64_BETA.exe

Which did fix the renaming issue, but still BSODed

Okay, thanks.

So, basically, not far enough back to make it easier to determine what change caused the issue.

If you are a glutten for punishment, you can find all the beta builds here:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/

However, there is absolutely no obligation to test the builds here, at all. I only wanted to post the link, if you really want to.

But if you do so, and are able to pinpoint a specific build where this starts happening, then that will greatly help us out.

Again, ABSOLUTELY NO OBLIGATION to test these out. So don't feel pressured to.

lol,

i wouldn't mind the testing (especially since the issue, so far, only seems to be affecting my card.. but you never know...)

.. its the fact that after i install i have to wait almost 24 hours to see if it crashes, lol!  so it could be a very slow process....

i'll try the first beta of 2.2 .. if thats stable i may start moving forward in jumps of 10, to at least narrow it down

and i'll be sure to keep the drivepool troubleshooting logs on, so hopefully you can see what it was doing right before it died!

oh! but i have got the newest firmware on there now.. so maybe the first thing i'll do is try the newest beta and see if maybe the new firmware has fixed it....

I've checked for a few of the major changes that we made:

2.2.0.564 (antivirus related)

2.2.0.566 (BSOD related, "spin lock, but 32-bit systems only)

2.2.0.586 (Folder delete issue)

2.2.0.598 (BSOD related, concurrent directory listing issue)

2.2.0.624 (low level priority stuff)

Needless to say, try the builds before these ones and see which triggers the issue

Ok, Cheers

For now i've put the latest beta on.. since i have the new firmware..  

its been up about 12 hours, im expecting a crash in 7 hours unless the new firmware has fixed things

if it does, i'll post the Drivepool logs and windows dumps for you 

and then roll back to an earlier beta and wait another 19 & 1./2 hours!

Well with 2.2.0.628; and the newest firmware on the card... its now been 24 hours of uptime.

So its possible whatever drivepool was doing that was managing to crash the previous firmware, doesn't crash the current firmware.

I'll post back if it does BSOD, but it seems to have survived past the "danger zone" !

thanks for all your help

Well the initial dump you've uploaded was the 2.1.1.561 build...

So chances are that we made a change that aggravated the issue (caused it to be triggered more quickly). 

And there are a few places that could have occurred.  I'll post the change log if you're interested.

However, the firmware update probably fixed a bug in the controller software that was the actual cause of this. Since that's ... what firmware updates are for usually.... You're probably good to go now!

And if it does BSOD again, grab the new dump and upload it.

But I suspect that the system will be fine (hopefully!).