Fastest / Most Reliable Providers?

KodeK

Question

I'd love to hear everyone's experiences with the currently supported providers. I'm trying to find the fastest, but most consistent one, and so far I'm not very happy with the ones I tried. My goal is to hopefully find one that allows me to stream video with 20 Mbps+ bitrate. My connection is very stable at 300 Mbps down, 20 Mbps up.

Amazon Cloud Drive: I was able to upload a large file near max speed, but I was constantly being throttled (forgot the specific errors from CloudDrive) and getting <5 Mbps speeds when trying to stream it back down.

Dropbox: Same experience as Amazon Cloud Drive, but somewhat slower upload.

Box: Best service so far, with max download speeds up to 30 Mbps, but not very stable. Still not good enough.

File share to my DrivePool server: Best experience so far with 1 Gbps speeds to and from the server  ;-)

Has anyone tried Amazon S3 or GCS? They seem a bit expensive for archiving large amounts of data, but they might be a bit more reliable.

6 answers to this question

Amazon Cloud Drive definitely has connectivity issues. Specifically, we have "upload verification" enabled by default, which consumes a lot more bandwidth and cache because it silently errors out occasionally (the errors you're seeing, most likely).

As for performance, this also depends heavily on the cache settings you've set. A larger cache should get better performance, as well. 

And yes, Amazon S3 and Google Cloud Storage are definitely more expensive, IIRC.

Alex is writing a "nuts and bolts" post about how to tweak the settings to optimize it for different setups. 

Well, if you want to create a really, really large cache ..... :)

But yeah, that's not practical for most people, a "real" answer would be better.

Amazon S3 and Azure Storage are your best bets for speed and reliability. Hands down. However, they are more expensive, or at least can be. They charge by the amount of data stored, and the amount of traffic. Which can get expensive quickly.

As for the "consumer" solutions, OneDrive is basically unusable, and Amazon Cloud Drive is very error prone (to the point that verification is enabled by default to ensure no corruption).  And I'm not as sure about DropBox and Box.  

But as I said, Alex is going to post about this based on our testing during the development. 

And as we add more providers, maybe we'll find that "golden goose". :)

If you need less than a couple TB's rent a Dedi or co-locate a box with a load of large disks in.

The issue with that, is that somebody else controls and maintains it.  And it's completely out of your hands.

And at least in the USA, providers/hosts are not required to inform customers that they have been issued a warrant or given access to your data/system to gov't agencies. 

So a major point of StableBit DrivePool, and StableBit CloudDrive is to mitigate privacy issues, like that, by having much more control over the data.

The issue with that, is that somebody else controls and maintains it.  And it's completely out of your hands.

And at least in the USA, providers/hosts are not required to inform customers that they have been issued a warrant or given access to your data/system to gov't agencies. 

So a major point of StableBit DrivePool, and StableBit CloudDrive is to mitigate privacy issues, like that, by having much more control over the data.

I never said you couldn't use that server alongside drivepool/cloud drive.  You've already suggested mounting a file system over VPN (That said I really would like a clouddrive backend I could run on a remote server)

Also I wouldn't get a server in the USA if you were in Europe, ideally you want it somewhere fairly close to keep the latency down.