Missing Pool Drive

giveituplouie

Question

I'm have WHS2011 with 4 drives in the pool. However 1 of my drives a 3Tb with 2 partitions is missing the front 2Tb partition while the back 1Tb is still in the pool. I can not add it back into the pool. Ran a CHKDSK with only 3 error that were repaired. I'm looking for any advice to try and get back into the pool without data lose.

3 answers to this question

Check Disk Management to make sure the partition is there, and still "NTFS".

If it is, check for hidden files. There should be a hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder there. 

Also, if you don't mind me asking, why do you have the drive partitioned into two parts? If you initialize the disk as "GPT", then you can create partitions larger than 2TBs without any issue. Both WHS2011 and DrivePool have absolutely no issue using GPT disks (as long as they're "basic" and formatted as NTFS).

If it doesn't have the "PoolPart.xxx" folder, that would be why it's not part of the pool any longer. 

The actual files from the pool is stored in that folder. Also, that's part of how we identify the disk as part of the pool (and to which pool).

I'd recommend running data recovery on that drive/partition, and to not write anything to it until after you've done that.