WHS 2011 to WS2012E

Bigsease30

Question

I purchased a license for whs2011 about a year ago. My system hard drive crapped out on me and now I am considering upgrading to WS20112E. I see that there is a current Beta that supports 2012. Can I just replace the hard drive and install 2012, then install Drivepool? Will it still reconise my existing data? Also is my license upgradable to WS2012E or is there a charge?

Thanks in advance,

Bigsease30

6 answers to this question

The answer to most all your questions is yes. Just install WS2012E, install DrivePool connect your drives and voila! It just works.

Only thing that may not work is the license, technically you are supposed to release the licence on the old machine first, but since it just bombed out on you, send a note to Alex and he can release the old licence for you. I've done this half a dozen times.

Philmatic is correct.

StableBit DrivePool 2.x will recognize the "old" drive pool and rebuild it.  All your data should then be intact (assuming all the drives are present), and read to go.

As for upgrading, the license isn't for a specific version of DrivePool. It's for the product itself. No fee or anything to upgrade. But as Philmatic suggested, since you didn't release the license on the old system, you will need to contact us to get it reset. head to http://stablebit.com/Contact/, and ideally use the email that you used to purcahse the license for DrivePool with.  And then we will see about resetting it for you.

Also, I'd recommend getting the "WSS Troubleshooter" utility. Use it to both "Reset NTFS permissions on the pool" option and "Rebuild DrivePool shares" option. That way, it wipes the permissions clean (so there should be no issues), and the second option will add the shared folders back to the dashboard, so you don't have to set that up manually, one folder at a time.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities

Thanks for the feedback. Bought a new HD, restored whs2011 and released the license, installed WS2012E ran updates, installed drivepool then plugged in my drivepool drives. I am about to run the WSS troubleshooter to reset the permissions. One question though, when I try to move the shared folders from the C: drive over to my drivepool, it tells me that there is a folder there with the name already and will not move. How do I fix this?

****After re-reading your reply I noticed the "Rebuild DrivePool shares" comment. I will try that and will post back if it fails.****