Drive Status Damaged, can't move files to pool even if there is room?

sprtfan

Question

StableBit found 12 bad sectors on one of the drives in the drive pool.  Drivepool says that I have 681 GB of space left in the pool, but whenever I try to add a file to the pool, I get a message telling me that I don't have enough free space.  I'm guessing that this space is all located on the drive with the 12 bad sectors?  Can the drive not be used anymore once it has been marked damaged?  If that is the case, do I just need to replace it and then let drivepool rebalance and I should be good to go?  Sorry if these are pretty basic questions.  I installed everything a long time ago and have not had any problems until now.  Thanks

3 answers to this question

If the only drive that you have free space is on that damaged drive, then most likely.

Check the DrivePool UI.  Chances are that you will see a Red/orange arrow above the drive in question, at the left side.

If this is the case, this arrow is the "real time placement limiter" indicator. meaning that new files can only be put on the drive up to that point. 

And in this case, that would be no drives. So if there is no more free space on any of the other drives, it could block you from adding new files.

I see the red/orange arrow.  When I hover over it pop up says New File Placement 0.0%.  It looks like the only files on it are duplicated files.  I'll get another drive and replace it.  Can I just replace the drive or do I need to turn off duplication first, then remove the drive from the pool, then replace the drive and add the new drive back into the pool?  At that point I could turn duplication back on.  I'm assuming I need to turn duplication off first since I wouldn't have enough room for duplication once the damaged drive is removed.  Thanks

I see the red/orange arrow.  When I hover over it pop up says New File Placement 0.0%.

That would definitely mean that no new files are allowed to be placed on that drive.

It looks like the only files on it are duplicated files.  I'll get another drive and replace it.  Can I just replace the drive or do I need to turn off duplication first, then remove the drive from the pool, then replace the drive and add the new drive back into the pool?  At that point I could turn duplication back on.  I'm assuming I need to turn duplication off first since I wouldn't have enough room for duplication once the damaged drive is removed.  Thanks

Actually, there is a "duplicate files later" option when you remove the disk. This will only move unduplicated data off of the pool, and then rescan the pool after the drive is removed and reduplicate as needed (if possible).

After it's removed, you could replace it with a new drive and it should rebuild the duplicate files on the new disk.

However, this may only work if you only have duplicated files on the "bad" drive.