Some disks never get scanned to completion

hauge48

Question

I have a 16 disk setup. With default settings on scanning 3 of the disks never go to completion (months). Status remains on 41,3%, 59,8, etc. I get warnings (cul-de-sac?) that they have never been checked for problems and that "at least one file system has not....".

I have tried to find a way to perform an indiviual/manual scan on the indicated disks, but cannot spot the settings for that.

And the disks are not dynamic (LOL).

Otherwise life is dancing and tomorrow is our National Day!

7 answers to this question

Frankly, I don't know for sure. I did not do this in a structured way, but I had ticked "Never scan file system automatically" and "Never scan surface automatically" for some disks. These are now blank.

One issue, though: how do I schedule a manual/individual scan? 

Frankly, I don't know for sure. I did not do this in a structured way, but I had ticked "Never scan file system automatically" and "Never scan surface automatically" for some disks. These are now blank.

One issue, though: how do I schedule a manual/individual scan? 

Ah, that will do it. These prevent the scans from taking place automatically.  Disabling these options should allow the disks to be scanned properly now.

As for manual scans, under the "sector map" section, you can start a scan manually for each disk. 

http://beta.stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Disk%20Scanning%20Panel

Notice on the left side of the sector map, there is a start and stop arrow? This is how you'd start the scan manually for the disk.

As for scheduling the scans individually, we don't have a method to do that, and it's by design.

Specifically, we have throttling options that will avoid scanning or throttle the scan of the drives in a number of circumstances :

• if they're being used (an active load on the disk), 
  • if there is a large load on another disk on the same controller,
  • if the disks are too warm overall,
  • if any one disk is significantly warmer than the rest.

These are there to help prevent any issues that could be caused by scanning the drives.

Additionally, we scan using a background I/O to help minimize the impact of the scans, as well.

These options can be configured in the Scanner Settings page, under the "Throttling" tab, and under the "Heat" tab, as well. 

Thank you. You are very helpful. I have been a PC user for more than 30 years - Dos 3.30 IIRC (but not taken it further technically than to the level of an experienced user) and I have never come across anything like the customer service of Covecube - first Alex, now you. You understand the issues raised and respond to the point, promtly. I have been in the computer community since 1972, both on the customer and vendor side, so I should have a fair foundation for my assessment.

Great products and great customer service. 

Finn