Swapping drives with mounted folders

spork

Question

I've been running Drivepool and so far so good though the spare rarely used HDD [D:Storage] I have in my PC is starting to fail (not bad seeing as I've had it since 2007).

This drive has a Drivepool folder with all my USB HDD's mounted as folders within it mounted as two seperate pools.

Whats the best way to swap out the D: drive safely and not mess with Drivepool ?

Could I just disconnect the USB drives, remove old D: then replace it with a new D: & would I have to re-mount each USB drive as folder (they are all labelled properly so thats not an issue).

3 answers to this question

Well, first, I'm sorry to hear about the drive failing.  But 7-8 years is a very long life for a drive! 

Could I just disconnect the USB drives, remove old D: then replace it with a new D: & would I have to re-mount each USB drive as folder (they are all labelled properly so thats not an issue).

Yup, pretty much exactly that. 

Great thanks, I'm actually swapping out the drive with another of the same make (Hitachi) from 2008 I still have lying around, bunch of SATA 2 year old Seagates wiped me out money wise replacing those as 3 of the 4 developed faults, I'm never buying those again.

Two were okay and I replaced them with WD greens but scanner actually gave me the heads up on one the Seagates dying during a surface scan. The 08 Hitachi got a clean bill of health from scanner.