How can I identify which drive is causing glitches in playback?

Chriscic

Question

So perhaps my premise here is flawed, but based on experience it seems like one glitching or failing drive can muck up playback on any drive. I believe this is a windows thing, not a Drivepool thing.

Anyway, I have 6 drives in my pool. Assuming you agree with my premise, any suggestions on how to find the responsible drive? I've tried SMART testing on individual drives in the past with no success.

Suggestions or other ways I should be thinking about this appreciated. I suppose it could be some sort of issue with one of the two USB drive enclosures themselves.

2 answers to this question

You could try physically disconnecting / taking offline via Disk Management each drive individually and testing playback? The pool will stay online in read-only mode so unless the file you're streaming is only on that particular drive...

For the USB enclosures you'd need to temporarily unplug / disable in Device Manager those. Remember to test each off individually and then both off together. Could also be the USB hub they're connected to rather than the enclosures themselves, too.