DrivePool Performance Tips? Upgrade Suggestion

bzowk

Question

Hey Guys - 

I've been using DrivePool for almost a year after having issues with a similar product by a different manufacturer.  I've got a couple of questions about DrivePool, but first; here's my setup:

- Intel i7 3770 CPU / 16gb RAM

- Windows 8.1 x64 (Fully Patched)

- Latest version of DrivePool installed with SSD Optimizer plugin

- Storage

- C:\ - 256gb 840 Pro SSD (OS & Application Installs)

- D:\ - 26tb DrivePool (Media and File Storage)

x10 drives total (x1 120gb SSD + x9 standard SATA drives ranging from 1tb - 4tb in size)

120gb SSD used with SSD Optimizer Plugin and does majority of writes which are later balanced to other drives

- E:\ - 500gb Hybrid Drive (Game Installs & VM disks)

Question #1 - Performance Tweaks

Each time I add a disk / add more data, the pool gets a bit slower.  Recently, I found a few registry tweaks for an app I use which greatly sped up how it performed.  Just wanted to post and see if there were any known registry tweaks which may help me out

Question #2 - Upgrade Suggestion

I'm running out of room again which prompted the question: would performance be better by adding a new, separate drive, purchasing a larger drive and migrating an exiting one over, or does it even matter?  Basically, I guess I'm asking if the number of disks (generally - not based on their specs) has a performance impact on the pool.

Thanks Guys!

1 answer to this question

Well, it's unusual that the pool would get slower when adding more files. That really shouldn't happen. 

As for the registry tweaks, could you list which you used?

Also, if anything may help, then defragmenting the disks in the pool may actually help with performance.

And no, the number of disks in the pool shouldn't affect the speed of the pool at all. 

In fact, I have 14 disks in my pool, and it is 75% filled and I'm still seeing 80-90MB/s writes regularly (no SSDs in the pool).

The quality and type of drive may have a larger impact here. I'm using mostly NAS drives, and a couple of Seagate Archive drives. if you're using WD Green or Seagate Barracuda LP drives, this may be the issue, as it may be aggressively idling the drives. This would definitely cause performance issues similar to what you are seeing.

As for the second question, migrating to NAS drives may help. They do idle fairly quickly, but they're designed for 24/7 usage and quick access. It may help with the issue you're seeing.

Otherwise, no, it shouldn't matter.