Motherboard compatibility

Ryo

• 1 month later...

Hey Christopher is the Linksys WRT1200AC router have the features ill need for my server? I can get it locally for 119.99

No. I'm not sure how close it is to the WRT1900AC, but that specifically doesn't hand out the DNS settings properly. 

This is specifically to support the Linksys SmartWifi crap. Which is more important than properly working DHCP/DNS servers.

Also, it's Linksys... which Cisco sold off to Belkin a few years ago. Belkin has a reputation of using horrible hardware and horrible software. It's .... "good" to see that somethings haven't changed.

In fact, even though it's a bit more expensive, I'd recommend this router:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011SW9A68/ref=as_li_tl?ascsubtag=17a037cbd54f4e968f92a75ef741321e&ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B011SW9A68&linkCode=as2&tag=slickdeals&linkId=YON2CUNFARVEKLAO

Or, thinking about it, could do some major configuration on your network to get everything to work right (it would mostly be a "one time", but nowhere near as simple as just changing the DHCP settings.

what would I need and how expensiv for this "1 time " Major configuration?

my plan is to be able to run either 2012 essentials or server 10 essentials " if it is an option by the time I'm ready to buy server" I also gotta doit correct but not extremely expensive...

Change the DNS server entry on the internet side of the XFinity router, so that instead of 75.75.75.75, it's the local IP Address for your server. And then make sure the DNS forwarder settings on your server are using the correct DNS servers for your internet connection (either that same 75.75.75.75, or google's 8.8.8.8, or OpenDNS's).  That may properly configure the DNS settings for your client devices. 

Also, it's Linksys... which Cisco sold off to Belkin a few years ago. Belkin has a reputation of using horrible hardware and horrible software. It's .... "good" to see that somethings haven't changed.

Boy, that's the truth. Google Wemo.

I have a pile of Linksys routers I don't use, because they are horrible. I should have known better, I was never a Linksys fan, not before, during, or after Cisco ownership.

I have some Asus routers that have worked pretty well for me. I have a Zyxel that's a piece of junk, and an Ubiquiti AP that seems to work pretty well but the Java management app stinks and it uses a proprietary POE+, which I did not know until I got it.

Sorry if I got off topic, I could rant about crappy wifi routers/APs for hours.

BACK ON TOPIC:

What are you trying to solve for? I looked back through the thread and didn't find any mention of what you need in your router.

BACK ON TOPIC:

What are you trying to solve for? I looked back through the thread and didn't find any mention of what you need in your router.

Mostly, one that has configurable DHCP options (for DNS), and that isn't the horrible XFINITY router that comcasts forces you with.

(most of the linksys ones don't actually let you set the DNS options, or at least they don't actually respect them, so they can force their linksys website configuration crap upon you.

Man, I'm reminded why I moved away from consumer routers and onto Sophos UTM (self built, basically).

Boy, that's the truth. Google Wemo.

I have a pile of Linksys routers I don't use, because they are horrible. I should have known better, I was never a Linksys fan, not before, during, or after Cisco ownership.

I have some Asus routers that have worked pretty well for me. I have a Zyxel that's a piece of junk, and an Ubiquiti AP that seems to work pretty well but the Java management app stinks and it uses a proprietary POE+, which I did not know until I got it.

Sorry if I got off topic, I could rant about crappy wifi routers/APs for hours.

Cicso's ownership of Linksys had a good number of great routers. And very flashable. It's towards the beginning and end of Cisco's ownership that really had some crappy hardware/software.

ASUS makes good devices, as well. So does Netgear.

I've only used Zyxel for networks switches, so I can't comment there.

And man, what's with the proprietary, crappy interfaces?!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Christopher I saw server 2012 R2 essentials Academic edition on newegg for 299.99. just curious what is required to buy this version over the standard essentials oem ?

I'm not in school at the moment. is that a requirement?