OneDrive on a pool

Adrian

Question

I have been doing some testing with OneDrive on a DrivePool pool on Windows 8.1

I emptied my OneDrive (in its default location in my profile on an unpooled drive C:) and created a number of small files in it (text files with some random text in each).

I used Properties of OneDrive | Location tab to move onedrive to a folder on a pool.

Within a couple of minutes Onedrive created a number of copies of a few (not all) of the txt files with a numeric suffix (eg -2  or -3 etc). The files have zero bytes. OneDrive then syncs these empty fies to the cloud. 

Subsequently, onedrive seems to crash (although I can find no specific logs) - the icon in the tray disappears. if it is manually restarted it runs a little while but does not seem to "notice" changes in the files in the onedrive folder - it only syncs if it is requested (using the tray icon menu). 

Basically, it is just "flakey".

If I reverse the process and move the OneDrive folder back to a normal drive OneDrive operates normally.

Is DrivePool compatible with OneDrive does anyone know?

5 answers to this question

Thanks Drashna.

Might I suggest an FAQ might be created with details of the things that OneDrive doesn't support rather than waiting for each new user to discover them. One day, someone might lose some important data.

Adrian

Hi, 

Just found this thread from May and was wondering if Onedrive is supported now or not?  Sorry, I could not find a change log.  Thanks.

No.  Addition support for this may be very difficult because it's probably a low level file system feature added to Windows 8. 

Additionally, I believe this was actually removed in Windows 10, so it may be a moot point. 

But we still do plan on looking into it, but Alex (the developer) is very busy right now.