Home server shares are missing.

teddyboy16

Question

Something happened to my shares. Basically they were DVD's, Software, and Music. They are completely gone.  The data is still there as is the actual folder structure. How can I recreate them without loosing any data.

I had a couple of things go wrong with my server. I had a MV8 Sata card fail, but I had a replacement for it. Two of the ports on the card stopped working and the card just became really wonky. It ended up bringing the server to it's knees, so I just replaced it with another one that I had as a spare. Now all 15 drives are recognized. I did have to replace two drives that where dead with two 6TB drives, and now drive pool is doing it's thing rebalancing.

The failed card and the failed drives may be coincidence, but I don't want to dwell on that as the server comes up quickly and is responsive now.

I just need to figure out how to bring back my shares so media player and media center can see the movies and music.

:-) Help!

Awesome! Mine is sitting in its box up at my house in Oceanside along with a bunch of other goodies that came in the mail. Glad you got in on that deal. I'm on my way to pick up my stuff now. The PC has been behaving with no blue screens since last Saturday. I'm going to order the motherboard and memory this coming week then I'll pick up the processor soon after that. I think I'll go with the 6 core 1.9 ghz for $305. That's not bad for a Xeon with six cores at that speed. The next big jump is 8 cores for $670.

Been looking at specs for my case design. Playing with some concepts. :-) I can get by with the board and processor I have now until I get the new stuff.

Whs 2011 is humming along. I'm going to drop by frys to pick up another 6tb drive in San Marcos. They are out in SD.

So am I. And I now have 2 spare M1015's. :)

As for the CPU, that looks great, and if you do want to upgrade later to a higher end CPU, it's still an option!

As for the issue, I'm assuming you mean the BSOD issue, right? (if not, I apologize, as the thread has wandered a good amount).

If so, then this is most likely a hardware issue, and short of replacing the hardware, I'm not sure what else can be done.

The only things to do in this case are generally: run a memory test, run "chkdsk c: /r" and run "sfc /scannow". Otherwise, reinstall and hope it goes away. 

Yes the BSOD issue I've been having. I've already reinstalled windows. I can get by for now until I get all the parts to upgrade my system. Whs 2011 is running great. I just replaced the last drive with excessive head parking with a 6Tb drive I picked up at frys saturday. Drive pool and scanner are doing there thing. I'm having one small issue though with my hot swaps. The last couple of times I replaced a drive to expande the pool they wouldn't become visible to the system with out a reboot. Thats never happened before. The only thing that has changed was wnen I bought and installed Perfect Disk a couple of weeks ago.

Odd. 

It may take a minute or two for the drive to show up normally, but if that isn't the case.... let us know.

However, restarting the "StableBit DrivePool Service" will forcibly refresh this information without having to reboot the system.

And I'm using PerfectDisk as well, and it detects drives just fine, so that's not the culprit.

Though, I'll suggest the "Smart Placement" and the "Performance (Aggressive)" setting for the disks. This may give you the best performance from the pool, as more recently modified files are at the beginning of the disk.

Yes it is odd. This is a recent occurrence the last two times I replaced drives. I'll probably pick up another 6tb this weekend and see what happens when I install it. I did let the drive sit for about a minute or so, but in the past they usually comes up pretty quickly.

I'll double check my settings on perfect disk, but I think that's what I set it at. Really nice application. I'm happy that I bought it. My server is used for My Movies, music, software archives. The only time things change is when I rip a movie or music cd to the pool. I don't run any VMs or databases except my movies it doesn't change a whole lot. Although when I upgrade I might want to play with VMs a little just for fun.

Yes the BSOD issue I've been having. I've already reinstalled windows. 

From the looks of the uploaded dump, it looks corrupted. 

Which would indicate the the file didn't finish uploading, or a serious hardware issue. 

Given everything, it's most likely hardware related, unfortunately.

Well when it blue screens it just freezes when it tries to write to the file. That could be it. At any rate I've got the new mother board and 32 gigs of memory sitting in my newegg shopping cart. I'll pick up the Xeon 6core 2.9ghz processor next week. The hardware is over four years old, so it really is time to replace it. At least when I get it installed upgrading to a CPU with more cores won't be so painful. Plus I'll have plenty of ram slots to expand to a larger memory pool. :-). I can expand up to 256 gigs.

Well when it blue screens it just freezes when it tries to write to the file. That could be it. At any rate I've got the new mother board and 32 gigs of memory sitting in my newegg shopping cart. I'll pick up the Xeon 6core 2.9ghz processor next week. The hardware is over four years old, so it really is time to replace it. At least when I get it installed upgrading to a CPU with more cores won't be so painful. Plus I'll have plenty of ram slots to expand to a larger memory pool. :-). I can expand up to 256 gigs.

Probably is the best bet, unfortunately.

And a better CPU and more RAM is always nice. :)

And that's a lot of memory. Just make sure your OS can support all of it. :)

Windows 7 64bit so it should support it. Probably the most ill ever get is 128gb. The last time I used a 32 bit os was XP. Once Vista came out I went 64bit and never looked back for my desktop PC.

The ram I picked up for the board are two Kingston DDR4 dims (actually one one was sold) KVR21R15D4/16. I think this would work.

Well, Windows 7 Professional and up supports up to 192GB of memory (I didn't realize that it was THAT much!), so that's more than plenty. Well, at least 75% of what the board can hold. :)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

I'd recommend checking the QVL for the board, just in case. However, usually most anything that's "compatible" (right speeds and voltage) should work

I ordered the motherboard and CPU yesterday. I decided to bump up the CPU to a Xeon E5-2620V3 2.4ghz processor $430.00. It has hyper threading and a few other goodies that the 1.9ghz Xeon does not have. Stupid CPU costs more than the motherboard! Newegg was out of memory, so I'll have to get it elsewhere. While I'm at it I might as well get a SATA III SSD because I have a 256gig SATA II SSD for the OS drive now. What I paid for my current SSD I can get one with double the capacity and faster for a little less money then what I originally paid!

Sigh... :-)

Well, if you're willing to spend the money on it, a better CPU will definitely serve you better!

As for the memory, that's really odd. Newegg is pretty good about stock.

And yeah, SSD prices have plummeted recently. It's really nice though. Can pick up a couple of 128GB SSDs for ~$100 now!

I did expand the pool yesterday. I took out a five year old 1tb drive and replaced it with a new 6tb 7200rpm seagate drive. After about a minute it did come up and was visible in the system so I could add it to the pool. The only thing that was different was I upgraded to the released version of Drivepool 2.1.1.561 the night before adding the new drive to the pool. There was something about 1.x that the dash board didn't like suddenly because it started to crash when I attempted to open it. I would have to reopen the dashboard and it would point to the 1.x Drivepool addin as the culprit. Everything appears to be working really well now.

Workstation is working well now too. No BSOD for over two weeks now. I think it knows it's going to be replaced ;-).