Sharing rights issue

RobbieH

Question

I've been thinking hard about this one, but can't come up with a solution.

After moving from WHS2011 to WSE2012, of course I've moved into domain rights. I have three XBOX 360s that are used solely for extender purposes. Before the move, everything was working great. After the move, the 360s can't play back media that is shared on the WSE2012 server. The master HTPC is on the domain, and can play back movies from the server. The XBOX can play back media that's on the HTPC, but when I try to play back media from the server, I get the typical "Application error". Any ideas? I can be more specific or post logs or something if necessary.

5 answers to this question

Well, the XBOX 360 doesn't support playbacks from network shares directly, so it relies on DLNA (UPNP) streaming.

It may be that the DLNA server on the server isn't working right. 

Try the WSS Troubleshooer, and see if the "Media Streaming Repair" option works:

http://dl.covecube.com/WssTroubleshoot/Release/download/Wss.Troubleshoot_1.0.0.165.exe

I don't think it will in this case, but it's worth trying.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to install something else to get this working.

Serviio works very well, but Plex/Emby/etc may work well, also.

Looks like I might have a couple of issues.

The Media Server option can't be installed due to the fact I installed Windows Server 2012 Standard over WSE2012. 

Today I started getting the same error from live TV. The extenders connect to a Windows 7 machine, not the WSE machine. But I found Media Streaming is off, so I turned that on.

So now I should have Live TV fixed, but I'm maybe hosed on the movie shares? 

The Media Pack (or whatever the exact name is) shouldn't need to be installed. It's included in Server 2012 Essentials as part of the base for it.

Or should be. If you're using Standard, then it may not be, depending on exactly how you installed everything.

And to clarify, the live TV should be completely separate from the server. If you've having issues with the live TV, then there is an issue with the Windows 7 machine (or your network, if you're using extenders).

Turning anything on or off on the server shouldn't affect this at all.

I installed WSE, then installed Standard over the top of it, because I don't have a license for WSE. This method is approved by Microsoft, but unfortunately this disables DLNA on the machine.

Enabling media server fixed the Windows 7 streaming issue, but the recorded shows are still blocked with the sharing issue. These were fine before joining the domain. 

I should be clear, the recorded TV files are recorded and stored on a Windows 7 machine, not WSE/Standard. I was confusing myself through frustration in the first post.