DrivePool license query

Sydb

Question

Hi all, bit of a n00b with DrivePool but heard very good things from a work colleague.

I've read the licensing page but I'm not very clear on what I require for my needs. I have a WHS v1 box that I plan to upgrade to Win7 running DrivePool. All the storage will be taken care of by that box. Question is do I need just one license for the server, or additional licenses as well for client PC's that access the fileserver?

Apologies if this has been asked before. I did some searching but couldn't see anything.

Thanks,

James

5 answers to this question

You only need a license for the systems that you want to create and run a pool on. Period. 

So, if you plan on running the WIndows 7 system and pool the disks with DrivePool on that system and then share them (or use a media server to stream them), then you just need a single license for that one system. 

And no need to apologize. It's better to ask and make sure!

Also, somewhat related, we do have a guide on converting the WHSv1 Drive Extender pool to our format:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5463715

It's meant for WHS2011, but it still works.

And if you want, we can set up a remote support session and help you with this process (as it is a bit complicated).

If you're interested in that, head to http://meetme.so/drashnacovecube and set up a time that is good for you.

I apologize for the shameless self-promotion here, but....
You may want to check StableBit Scanner out as well. Not only does it monitor the SMART attributes of the drives (which can give pre-failure warnings), but it does a surface scan of the drive which will let you know if there are problems reading the disk, and can potentially trigger the drive's built in error correction to fix bad sections on the disk before they become an issue (a process usually referred to as called "data scrubbing"). 

Additionally, if you have both StableBit Scanner and StableBit DrivePool installed on the same system, DrivePool will grab information from Scanner. And if Scanner detects damage on the disk, DrivePool will automatically move data off of the disk to help prevent data loss due to corruption/damage.

And you can buy both products, and get a discount on the price.
It's $19.95 for DrivePool, and $24.95 for Scanner, separately
Or $34.95 if you buy the combo, which is a $9.95 saving.

It's $29.95 for StableBit DrivePool, or StableBit Scanner, and $34.95 for StableBit CloudDrive (will be $39.95 once it's no longer a beta).
It's $10 off for each additional product that you buy separately.
Which would be $49.95 both both StableBit DrivePool and StableBit Scanner.
Or it's $54.95 for the bundle of all three products (which saves you $20, and is only a $5 difference)

Thank you for the very comprehensive reply Christopher, very much appreciated.

Thank you also for the guide to convert a WHS v1 extended volume to a DrivePool volume. I've had a quick look and it looks nice and straightforward. Will be sure to shout up if I need further assistance, but it looks very straightforward after a day mucking about with *nix systems.

No need to apologise in return, I was tempted by the drive scanner as well, so looks like a good purchase on top.

I look forward to taking the change over.

Thanks again.

You are very welcome. :)

And I'm glad to hear that the guide seems very straight forward. The process really is simple, and shouldn't take more than half an hour (I've done it ... more than few times).  Even for a large pool, since you're just moving files around on the hard drives, and not to other disks.

And I apologize there, because it's definitely up selling/marketing, and some people don't like that. However, I mention it when people do have failed disks, because of the obvious synergy! 

If you do run into any issues, or have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

And you can buy both products, and get a discount on the price.
It's $19.95 for DrivePool, and $24.95 for Scanner, separately
Or $34.95 if you buy the combo, which is a $9.95 saving.

Might want to update that... Was just about to hit BUY at the combo price and went to website to see it's actually $20 more with the Clouddrive I am not really after :-(