File system damaged?

TimoJ

Question

Suddenly I got file system damaged Scanner message from my server's boot drive. Still chkdsk finds no errors and /f or /f/ r/ finds nothing to repair. There are no smart or surface errors. The drive is an Intel SSD, 1% used lifetime.

How can I rescan or reset Scanner's file system scan results from this drive? Looks like it's not doing a fle system rescan and just shows the same message. Scanner version is 2.5.1.3062. Application log shows 4 scanners errors and it has saved error reports. I have attached them.

ErrorReports.zip

3 answers to this question

Open up the Scanner UI, double click on the drive in question. Click on the arrow to the left of the "File system health" text beneath the sector map.  Click on the button with the green circle.

There should be an option to "Mark damaged file systems as unchecked".

This will clear the status and recheck the disk.

If this keeps repeating, then let us know.

That option was well hidden... I cleared the status, Scanner very quickly rechecked the disk and returned the same file system damaged message. There appears system log VSS error every time I run Scanner recheck.

I then removed my drive mappings from a folder in C-drive (I have removed drive letters from pool drives and mapped them under one folder), cleared status and now Scanner runs (much longer than when the error happened) without error and returns with healthy filesystem. I remapped the drives to the same main folder (with new subfolders) and Scanner still runs correctly.

So looks like something had gone wrong with those mappings, it probably happened few weeks ago (and I just happen to have 14 days checkdisk schedule) when I had that another problem with Scanner (beta) and reinstalled it and Drivepool few times.

The drive mappings shouldn't have any issues with being scanned. In fact, we don't use that when scanning at all, so this is very unusual.

if this issue returns, try running "chkdsk x:" (where "x:" is the drive letter OR folder mount point for the disks).

Also, do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

But open the "Logging" tab, and find the "Chkdsk" entry. CLick on it, and then select the "Verbose" option. Then hit OK.

Set scanner to rescan the file systems, and then grab the logs (there is a link in the "Logging" tab, if you need it).

Upload those logs here (or to https://stablebit.com/Contact), and we'll take a look.

And yeah, the file system status thing isn't very visible. I'll pass the feedback along to Alex (the developer) and see if we can get that fixed