Dropped Drive

airjrdn

Question

In a boneheaded move I dropped an external drive off the desk onto the floor.  A quick chkdsk turned up no issues, but I've gone into Scanner and Marked all Readable blocks Unchecked then initiated a check.

If that comes back clean, are there any other checks I could/should do to verify if the disk received any damage?

7 answers to this question

Oh no! 

Well, I'm glad that it didn't break, right then and there! (i've done that a couple of times :( ).

If Scanner gives it a clean bill of health, then you may be fine.
However, I'd ... prepare for the worse. If it's in a pool, I'd use the "Disk Usage limiter" balancer to only allow duplicated data on the drive. At least for a couple of weeks, to make sure there wasn't any "growing" damage (such as a crack that gets bigger over time).

Ok.  Scanner is about 70% done.  It's the destination for local CrashPlan backups, and was replacing a 4TB drive I haven't wiped yet.  I'll leave the 4TB drive alone for a couple weeks in case this one dies.  If this one get a clean bill of health from the scan and lasts through a couple of weeks of CrashPlan backups I'll assume it's good and wipe the 4TB.

Technically, if the 5TB drive dies and I revert back to using the 4TB drive, I'll lose a few versions of files, but given the data that won't be a problem.

Thanks!

Crashplan has continued to back up to the dropped drive for over a week now.  I re-marked all readable blocks as as unchecked and kicked off Scanner one more time.  It's about 55% done as of right now.  If that comes out clean, I'm going to assume this drive is good and re-purpose the drive it's replacing.

Fingers crossed! lol