Disk won't remove from pool

nwtim

Question

I'm hoping to replace a 7200 RPM 2TB drive with a slower WD Red 2TB drive in my WHS.  Last night I added a new WD Red 2TB drive to the pool and then began the process of moving all the files off the 7200 RPM 2TB drive by removing it from the pool.  For the first 90 minutes or so, everything seemed to be going according to plan and the 'migrating data' progress bar had moved to about the 40% percent point.

I began to wonder about the temperature of the drives due to the high rate of reading and writing and the factor that all four drive slots were populated in my Lenovo D400's packed drive bay.  On the dashboard, I clicked on the Home Server SMART 2013 tab to check the temps.  At that point, the migration of the drive removal aborted and I was informed about some kind of access denied error.

Further attempts at removing the drive have repeatedly failed, reporting the same access denied error.

Any idea what may have happened and how I can get out of that loop to resume removing the drive?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

There should be a "force drive removal" option. This will skip any file that errors out (which is likely the issue).  And then proceed to remove the drive from the pool.

You will retain files on the drive using this method though. You can access those files in the "PoolPart.xxxx" folder (may be hidden).  

Worst case here, physically remove the drive, and then remove it from the pool. Then copy the contents of said "PoolPart.xxxx" folder back into the pool (it should mirror how the pool is laid out).

Also, you can check "C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service\Logs\Service\" for the logs and see what file(s) it is erroring out on.

Regards

So you don't think it's because I set up folder duplication manually via the dp-cmd SetDuplicationCount command?  I was curious if that might've caused a problem because Drive Scanner and Home Server SMART 2013 showed no errors on the drive.

I wouldn't think that having PerfectDisk WHS installed could've been running a background process that was causing a problem, but perhaps it is?

Nope, definitely not. 

If it was, then the "Skip duplicated files" option would allow you to remove it from the pool without issue.

And PerfectDisk shouldn't have caused any issues. I run it on my server as well, and I've not had issues removing disks.  Though, you can stop any ongoing scan, if it's occuring.

Also, you can use the "file placement limiter" balancer, and uncheck both "Duplicated" and "Unduplicated" check boxes and the pool will try moving all the files off that disk. This would make it easier to remove the pool (or at least safer to just pull the disk and then remove it from the pool).

However, the reason I mentioned that log file is that it will log what files it errored out on. And there may be a damaged file that is causing it to hang on.

I didn't realize there was a 'file placement limiter balancer' when I started, or that's the route I would've taken from the get-go.  I wasn't removing a bad disk, just one that runs at 7200 RPM which is not as favorable in a home server environment.

I'll have to look at the log and see if it'll help identify any files that may have gotten lost in the removal.

Thanks!

Not a problem. There are a number of nice features that are kind of hidden (may be a good idea to really look at those balancers too, and check out the ones on the plugins page too http://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins)

And no files should be lost in the removal. Worst case, they will remain in the hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder, for you to recover/move at your convenience.