Disk scan error with beta versions

TimoJ

Question

Hello,

What was changed in latest Scanner betas? I have used 2.5.2.3079 without problems and now installed 2.5.2.3091.

After install I noticed that it had removed all disk check statistics i.e. disks switched to unchecked.
And now when the Scanner runs, it's not able to scan disk sectors from drives that are connected to LSI 9650SE-4LPML controller.
It just returns errors on all sectors, drives are 6TB. Drives (4TB and smaller) that are connected to mainboard Intel controller work without errors.

I then unstalled 3091 and reinstalled 2.5.2.3079 and I still get the same problem. So I uninstalled again, removed all scanner's user data folders, installed 2.5.1.3062 Release and now surface scan works again.

Actually I'm not sure when the change was made, maybe I had no surface scan runs during my usage of the  build 3079 and the change happened earlier.

9 answers to this question

These are the specific changes since the 3079 build.

* [issue #12374] When connecting via RDP, the list of disks would go blank.
* The Dashboard add-in now runs in a separate AppDomain, fixing any potential future DLL conflicts with other add-ins.
* [issue #12374] Updated Telerik controls to the latest version.

However, it sounds like the installer corrupted files, as there should be nothing that significantly changed in regards to the scanning engine. In fact, this was all UI changes.

If you wouldn't mind upgrading to the newest version again, and see if the issue reappears?

If ti does, could you do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

Go to the "Logging" tab.

Find the "Scanner" entry and click on it. Select "Verbose". 
Repeat this for ControllerInfo and DiskInfo. ANd hit "OK".

Let this scan the system, and then grab the logs from "C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner\Service\Logs\Service" and attach them here, or at: https://stablebit.com/Contact/

I reinstalled 3091 beta and again all disks changed to not checked (I put them earlier manually to checked state). And the same error appears when scanning disks with the LSI controller.

Maybe it was this change that causes the read errors: [issue #13478] Use the sector count reported by IDENTIFY if the sector count reported by Windows is smaller.

I'll upload logs soon.

TimoJ,

Could you open up a ticket here: https://stablebit.com/Contact

And could you upload the entire contents of your "C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner" folder?

And no, the specific issue you mentioned should affect you. It was because a user was seeing StableBit Scanner reporting a LOT less capacity that the disk actually had.  We just changed how we process the data is given us, to make sure it's correct.

Regards

Could you upgrade to the latest beta build?

Additionally, you'll need to enable an Advanced setting to get this working properly. 

Click on the Settings button in the toolbar and select Scanner Settings. Enable the Show advanced settings and information option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.

Click on Settings, and select the new Advanced Settings and information option. Open the Configuration Properties tab. You will find a list of all the settings here, organized into section. Find the "DirectIO" section, and check the "DoNotCorrectSize" option.  You'll need to reboot the system after doing this (or restart the service).  

Update:

We got a good look at what was going on here (got our hands on a drive that was actually doing this). And there were a few issues causing this. The newer build addresses this and handles it much better.  

And please do disable the "DoNotCorrectSize" option if you install this build (there is a performance hit to the scan with this setting enabled).

In case you're curious, here's exactly what has changed:
  • Apply the corrected size / bytes per sector / sector counts to the sector map on each service start.
  • When correcting the size of the drive, also correct the bytes per sector and the sector count, but only if we can   validate the last sector.
  • When reading the disk signature from the disk using Direct I/O, use the real bytes per sector. Some drives (like the   WD My Passport) will show up, incorrectly, as having 4096 bytes per (virtual) sector.
  • When correcting the total size of the drive, validate the last sector before applying the new size. While this works   for most drives, some drives (like the WD My Passport) will report an incorrect size.
  • If a manual scan was started on some disk, then automatic scanning was toggled on, and the disk that was being scanned  manually was not scheduled to scan, then the manual scan could not be stopped afterwards. Also, the service would not shut down properly in this state.
Regards