No Folders/files in Drivepool

habe

Question

I've been having recurring issues with Flexraid for quite some time where I lose the ability to Validate/Verify my files. I'm migrating to DrivePool/Scanner/Snapraid.

My system:

Asus Z87 Extreme mobo, Win 7 Pro 64, 7 x 3TB data drives and 2 X 4TB parity drives.

I have Scanner up and running with no issues.

I'm having issues with Drivepool that is kickin' my butt. I'm not sure if it's a Drivepool issue or a user issue. I can create a pool, pool indicates the correct size of total space, used space & free space. Currently, the drives are mounted through folders. I also tried creating a pool with the drives having assigned drive letters. No matter what, I can't seem to get Drivepool to show any folders in the pool drive.... I've checked and reset all permissions, allowed file indexing, etc. Nothing. An empty pool drive. I can copy folders/files to the pool fine and they will show up. If I try and mass copy folders/files that exceed the free space available, I get a message that there is not enough free space available so it seems that the system recognizes what's supposed to be there, the just don't show up.

What am I doing wrong?

habe

4 answers to this question

Are the files that are not showing up... where are they located exactly?

if it's on the disks in the pool... if they're not IN the PoolPart.xxx folder, then they won't show up in the pool.

If this is the case, then you'll need to "seed" the pool:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

Additionally, since the driver for the pool runs in "kernel mode", it will always see ALL files regardless of the permissions on the disks/folders/files. ALWAYS.

Christopher,

I created the pool following the instructions in the manual. The pool drive "DrivePool (V:)" is empty but reflects the correct size in bytes used and free. When I go to the drives that are part of the pool, all of the folders/files are still there and are not in the "PoolPart.xxxxx........." folders. The only thing currently in those folders is a subfolder named ".covefs" which has a sunfolder named "reparse".

I had already found the same instructions that you posted in a thread in AVSforum dealing with migrating from FlexRaid (to Drivepool + SnapRaid) and, was getting ready to try that. I will report back on my findings.\

Question: Should Drivepool be "seeding" the drive pool automatically or does it always need to be done manually? If so, did I miss a step?

habe

So I manually "seeded" the pool. All folders/files now show up in my DrivePool (v:) drive which, is good.

I had have other drives that were not originally part of the pool. I added a new drive to the pool and those folders/files also did not populate the pooled drive until I went through the process of manually adding them. Is the process supposed to be automatic  I Am I going to have to do this every time I add a new drive? If so, that's kind of a PITA......

Thanks, habe

The pool is not seeded automatically.

So you'd need to do this manually... but only the once.

This is done, because we don't want to completely take over your disk. You can still use it for other stuff, but pool it as well.

And again, once you've "seeded" it, you shouldn't need to do so again (unless something is adding files... then you need to update those programs to use the pooled disk).

As for adding "new drives", it depends. If there is content on them, then yes, you'll need to seed them as well. If it's a blank disk, then no, just add it and you're done.