Unable to write large files to drivepool

ps1

Question

Hi all,

I am unable to copy any new files to my drivepool even though 20+TB of free space, everything was working fine until a few days ago when I mistakingly did a win 11 update, now rolled back to win 10 but whenever I try to copy a larfge file it starts of fine at 100MBs speed as per normal but after a few seconds drops to kb/s or just 0, doesn't give any errors just slows to a stop. Does this over network or from drive not in pool which can copy to fine.

Any help much appreciated

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (4).png

13 answers to this question

Given you've already chosen not to keep personal data, at this point personally I'd do a bare metal install of Windows - that is using external install media (e.g. USB or DVD) and choosing to delete the existing OS partition entirely so it doesn't retain any system files/configuration at all from the previous install.

Also, could you open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contact

Also, as shane mentioned, if this is a USB drive, they can ... behave oddly sometimes. Especially if you have them in the pool. 

Also, if you have duplication enabled on the pool, and one of the drives is having issues, it can cause this sort of behavior, too. 

Latest update, reinstalled windows from usb stick and did updates etc, then reinstalled drives and drivepool and so far after trying 4 files (3 approx 30GB and 1 approx 70GB) and things seem to be working so thanks for the suggeestions and will report back if anything changes.

No windows 11 update involved this time although not sure if any other update was involved. At th moment seem to be having duplication issues so maybe a failing drive causing the problem?

Maybe. If SMART isn't giving any warnings, you could try checking the DrivePool UI -> Cog -> Troubleshooting -> Service log... to see if there's any hints there, or using the File Placement rules to limit duplication to certain disks to see if that gives any clues. Otherwise I would suggest opening a ticket via https://stablebit.com/Contact as Christopher suggested.