4 drives in pool: one drive is loud... how to proceed

mizzer

Question

Just built a HTPC.  I'm a Drivepool noob (and also a fan). :)

Windows 8.1 Pro

Asrock z97 mini-ITX

16 GB RAM

1 SSD for OS

4x 4TB HGST NAS drives (all in the pool)

Currently storing non-critical info on the pool.

Problem: one of my 4 drives is loud.  SMART and Scanner show no issues with any drive so I can't tell which one it is.  I'm thinking I have to take each drive offline, one by one, to find the culprit.

Do I...:

1) disable the entire pool first? (take it all off line)

2) pull the SATA cords from all drives and remove the power from each one, one by one.

3) something else

I'd like to avoid any rebuilding the pool or having to re-transfer files to the pool (mostly mkv's, etc.).  I am NOT duplicating MKV's in the pool.  I have other folders set to 1x duplication but those folders are currently empty.

Help?

5 answers to this question

While the drive is making the noise, is it possible to touch and feel each drive to see if one has an unusal vibration? If so, I suspect that might be the bad drive and you could probably disconnect that drive first. Otherwise, your troubleshooting plan of removing each drive one by one seems reasonable. I replace my drive(s) at the first sign of abnormal function, and I have never had a loud drive that lasted very long. Good luck.

No need to disable the pool. You can disconnect the drives as needed. 

The drives that are not connected will show up as "missing" until it's re-connected. DrivePool will detect the reconnect (give it a minute or two, it may take a bit), and it will show back up in the pool.

In the meanwhile, the pool will be put into a read only state until the drive issue is resolved.

Guys,

I sent all my drive back!  4x HGST 4TB NAS drives.  I removed each one, one at a time.  Of course the noise decreased but it remained.  i determined that's just how the drives sound. :(

Running 4x 4TB Seagate NAS drives.  Quiet as a mouse fart. :)

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that!

Well, at least the Seagate NAS drives run very quiet! :) (at least that's what I'm assuming the comment means :P)

Also, if the HGST NAS drives are anything like the WD Reds (as they're owned by the same company, WDC), then the Seagate NAS drives will probably perform better, over all.