Configure SSD Optimizer as a true write cache

JasonC

Question

I'd like to get the SSD Optimizer as close to a true write cache as I can, at least as far as keeping the amount of space used on the SSD as minimal as possible, over the long term. From the comments in SSD Optimizer problem I've configured my Balancing settings to:

• activate with at least 2GB data
  • Balance ratio of 100%
  • Run not more then every 30 minutes

The SSD Balancer itself I have configured as:

• Fill SSD to 40% (around 400GB)
  • Fill archive drives to 90%
    • or Free space is at 300GB

Does this seem like it should do roughly what I want?

The balancing ratio I was a little concerned was going to cause my archive disks to all re-balance, though none of them hit either of the fill settings I have, so I think I'm ok there? I'm a little fuzzy on that ratio. With it set to 100%, does that mean it should trigger the move on the SSD as long as it's above 2GB data, or is it still waiting to the 40% mark (the interaction of the ratio to % full triggers is where I'm unclear).

These are semi-short term settings, I'm performing a data recovery at the moment, so I'm doing a lot of writes, which is why I want to cache to fast storage, but offload ASAP.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

17 hours ago, protator said:

O...r, you install PrimoCache, configure a chunk of your SSDs' capacity as an actual block-level cache, and add the remaining capacity to the pool as regular SSD storage.

Hmmm interesting idea. I have PrimoCache, I thought it only worked with memory though- I'll have to investigate that possibility. The disk itself is actually sorta dedicated to caching operations, it also is where my rclone mounts perform caching.

PrimoCache has gained quite a bit in functionality in recent years.
L2-SSD caches were rather simple when they were introduced - you could only assign entire disks - but now you can use just some of a SSD's capacity for caching and still create regular ntfs volumes on the rest. I think - never tried it tho* - you can even create several caches on the same SSD.
That would give you the option to, instead of using multiple separate SSDs as caches for their respective HDDs, combine the SSDs in a fast Raid0 array and then simply distribute the total capacity between the HDDs you want to cache.
(*I did use part of a 4-ssd raid0 scratch disk for caching, so I know that bit works, I just never tried to place a second cache on that array)