Writing to a duplicated pool with only "unusable for duplication" space available

nicopolous

Question

Hi forum, hopefully there's a simple answer to this :)

Say I have a pool (with pool file duplication x2), with a set of drives of sizes that mean I have some space that is "unusable for duplication" (I completely understand the reason for this, with a bunch of mismatched drive sizes).  If I fill the pool so I have (e.g.) 85% full with duplicated files and the remaining 15% is unusable for duplication - what happens when I write to the drive?  I am fairly sure it's smart enough to write the file, but since can't duplicate it I get some kind of warning that it's not fully duplicated.  Or will it simply report the virtual pool disk is full?

Extending this scenario slightly:  Say I have a pool with 2x 1TB drives and 1x 2TB drive, with pool file duplication 2x and the pool is full.  If one of the 1TB drives goes bad and I have to remove it, will the pool keep functioning, just reporting that I have 1TB of unduplicated files on the pool?

Thanks v much :)

1 answer to this question

In the "what happens when I write to the pool" scenario, I imagine it would depend on whether you have duplication set to real-time or not; if it's real-time it will immediately notice it can't write to multiple drives, while if it's deferred it will only run into the problem when it does the nightly duplication pass.

In the "what happens if I remove a bad drive" scenario, the pool should keep functioning but warn you that it can't duplicate the files due to insufficient space. At worst you would have to try again and this time tick the "Duplicate files later" box in the Remove options to proceed.