Limit number of drives scanned simultaneously?

bitfidelity

Question

4 answers to this question

Yes and no.

Specifically, by default, StableBit Scanner will only scan one drive per controller.  And in fact, you have to get into the advanced configuration to increase that.

So if you're seeing multiple drives being scanned at once, it's likely because they are connected to different controllers (you can verify this by selecting the "group by controllers" option in the UI.  

On 1/3/2023 at 4:36 AM, JWhitton said:

I have a TerraMaster 4 bay direct attached storage unit connected by a single USB cable. Unfortunately, Scanner reports each drive as a separate controller; is there any way to get Scanner to only scan one drive at a time?

@Christopher (Drashna)i am having the same issue as JWhitton here - I have a 4 bay device that connects with a single USB-C cable that is being seen as multiple controllers, but if i disable scanning on all drives but 1, i'm getting 40-50 mbps scanning speeds... if the disks are scanned simultaneously, i get llke 8-10mbps per disk.  Would prefer to have it stick to a single disk, otherwise it will take forever to get to 100% scanned on each disk.

On 5/9/2023 at 9:08 AM, blaineeasy said:

@Christopher (Drashna)i am having the same issue as JWhitton here - I have a 4 bay device that connects with a single USB-C cable that is being seen as multiple controllers, but if i disable scanning on all drives but 1, i'm getting 40-50 mbps scanning speeds... if the disks are scanned simultaneously, i get llke 8-10mbps per disk.  Would prefer to have it stick to a single disk, otherwise it will take forever to get to 100% scanned on each disk.

@Christopher (Drashna) I also have the same issue, with a Sabrent 10-bay device, connected over USB-C. All drives are being scanned at the same time, and I'm getting 3 dropping from the pool during the scan.

Weird part is, checking the controller view, 4 are on separate "USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device" while 3 are on the same "AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller 1.20 (Microsoft)" controller. And 3 are not visible on the pool anymore - power cycling those bays or resetting the computer would probably make them visible again though. 

Is there any way to force only a single disk to be scanned at one time, regardless of number of controllers?  A global setting for 'cap max concurrent scans to 1 disk' might solve this issue with multiplexed USB enclosures.