unable to use client backup whs 2011 and feeder not draining

clonea1

Question

so I realized that I have had two driver pool licenses because I used to have two media smart servers but now I have no media smart servers and a micro computer for the main storage etc... so I said herm I have a extra license and il pick up a 2nd license of scanner and see if I cant re purpose some of the 50 drives I have laying around my condo.  so I get through about a dozen drives and find 4 that are still field able... get that all set up happy good migrate all my data everything works like a champ.  scanner is liking the platters not so happy about smart on them but I set it to ignore the current alerts and re alert me if things get worse.  perfect great..... except now WHS 2011 backup cant run backups

'an error prevented backup from running an error prevented backup from creating a snapshot of the volumes on this computer'

I have WHS set to back up system reserved, C:, D:(drivepool)

in the mean time im going to try

wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:\\server\images\ -include:c:,d: -allcritical -quiet -user:server\****** -password:*******

and that will work fine for a system restore but I would prefer to have this done via whs

then I also said im going to use my 3 ssd's as feeder drives.  so they work as they should or so I thought they new files when to the SSD's first but 6 hours later and im still waiting for them to drain on the to spindle drives

let me know if you want a ticket or if forums are fine

10 answers to this question

that failed, and the ssd's are still full even over night -  I have not read the logs yet as I have to go to work.  it does not appear that I can past the error into this and im not typing a page worth and I don't see an attach file option either

its some type of vss error

Snapshots won't complete on the pooled drive, as we don't support the Volume Shadowcopy Service on the pool.

This is due to a lack of documentation on how to implement the feature.

So, unfortunately, you cannot use Windows Server Backup (or the wbadmin utility) to backup the pool directly.

In fact, you must backup the pooled disks, if you want to backup the pool. This is detailed here:

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/1.X/Manual?Section=Using%20Server%20Backup%20to%20Backup%20the%20Pool

ya the down side to doing a backup of the pool disks is that because these are drives with smart errors I have duping set to 3x... so that ALLOT of wasted backup space on the server.  I think I can run wbadmin with out vss needed but im tired for the night

ya the down side to doing a backup of the pool disks is that because these are drives with smart errors I have duping set to 3x... so that ALLOT of wasted backup space on the server.  I think I can run wbadmin with out vss needed but im tired for the night

WBADMIN is the backend of the the Windows Server Backup. And it absolutely requires VSS support, as it takes a snapshot of the disk and then reads from that snapshot. This prevents any sort of corruption that can be caused by file contents being changed during the backup.

Robocopy is a good option, if you're used to command line stuff.

You can use Allways Sync, Free File Sync or the like to automate this.

Also, you might be able to create a distinct set of HDDs with single versions of the duplications using file placement rules? Then you could backup only that single set. But it's a bit out of my league.

Yeah, you could definitely micromanage the pool with the File Placement rules, and that would allow for effective usage of Server Backup... but it is more complicated and much more involved.

That is why a have 2 Pools of 2x2 TB HDDs but it is nice to know that if I need to, I can create larger Pools and still have an efficient backup. That goes for WS2012 / > 2TB volume backups as well of course.

You definitely. 

It just depends on how hands on you want to be.

I also said im going to use my 3 ssd's as feeder drives.  so they work as they should or so I thought they new files when to the SSD's first but 6 hours later and im still waiting for them to drain on the to spindle drives

I apologize that this got ignored.

Are any of the other balancers enabled (not counting the StableBit Scanner balancer)?

If so, try disabling the other balancers.

If not, then try adjusting the ratio on the "general" tab to a higher value (between 95-100%), as this should cause DrivePool to be more aggressive. Also try setting the balancing to occur immediately, if you haven't already.

wasn't able to get this to work out that great,

what I had done was set the SSD's (3x of various vintage) as feeder drives but then I also assigned the blizzard folder to the ssd's this way the game would come off ssd instead of spindle. however in game when pulling boss's performance dropped to zero fps and could not play, moved the blizzard folder out of the pool but still on to a member disk and game play is smooth as glass.  so could be that read stripping is not fast enough / evaluating driver performance fast enough for real time interaction.

I have taken a drive out of the pool and will keep the games alone and just have whs back it up