Get Unduplicated Data to Duplicate

Lake

Question

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before; I looked around and didn't see anything.

I just had a drive in my drive pool start giving read and write errors.

So, I shut the PC down, removed that drive, and upon reboot Drivepool alerted me to the missing disk, as it should.

Then I selected "remove missing disk from pool", and then selected "re-measure".

When the process was complete, the Pool Organization bar was at 100%, and I had 2.08TB of un-duplicated data, which is exactly the amount that was on the disk I removed. (so, everything is perfect.)

My question now is: when will Drivepool start to duplicate the data which is currently un-duplicated? -- Does this process start automatically if given time?

5 answers to this question

It depends.

Do you have Real time duplication enabled (it should be, by default).

Otherwise, once the drive is removed it should start. Or at least once the pool has been remeasured.

It should then start a duplication pass and re-duplicate the files as needed.

If it's not, try checking and changing the duplication level, if needed.

This should also kick off a duplication pass.

Another thing I found common with the deduplication is that it can get way behind on garbage collection and you might want to run the job more than once a week if your data changes much.  I just ran it and it cleaned out a couple TB of space that drivepool reported as "Other" (the dedupe info is in the hidden System Volume Information directory)

Another thing I found common with the deduplication is that it can get way behind on garbage collection and you might want to run the job more than once a week if your data changes much.  I just ran it and it cleaned out a couple TB of space that drivepool reported as "Other" (the dedupe info is in the hidden System Volume Information directory)

Yup, precisely.

The more the data changes, the more frequently you need to schedule the cleanup/garbage collection.