Problems duplicating due to virus or potentially unwanted software

airjrdn

Question

Strangely, I'm getting this error attempting to set duplication to 3x on folders that were already set to 2x.

Duplication Warnings

There were problems checking, duplicating or cleaning up one or more files on the pool.

Files:

\Files\Backups\old\My Website Backups\abcdef\2006_12_05\public_html\mpn\html\c99.php
Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software

I'm not sure how a php file would contain a virus in this context (on a Windows machine not running a webserver), but either way, I'd like to have it duplicated.  I selected "Duplicate now" (as opposed to cancel) the first time, but the message just came back after a few minutes.

5 answers to this question

Is Drivepool giving the virus warning?

Also, could you grab the logs?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Alos, is anything using the files in question?

And do you have any antivirus installed on the system?

If so, it may be that the php script can be downloading... or virus scanners like Avast tend to check the checksum without checking the actual contents.

Yes, the message is coming from DrivePool.  Message Link

I'll open a ticket w/the logs.  I have to stop the service for the logs to be unlocked so I can zip them up.  I have friends hitting files (Subsonic).  That can continue while I stop/start the service can't it?

As for antivirus, Windows Defender is running on the machine, but that's it.

Nothing else is using the files.  They are just backed up from websites I have/had.

Talked to Alex (the developer) about this.

Well, we're passing along the error code, so ... that's what Windows is telling us.

Either scan the file with Defender and see what it says, or try turning Defender off.

As for the service, yes, you can absolutely continue to access the pool with the service stopped.

You won't be able to manage it, and balancing won't really happen, but that should be it, for the most part.

If the issue persists, then grab the logs.

Ok.  It just seems strange that I'm getting the error now, but wasn't before.

Strangely, I wasn't able to find the problematic .exe when I looked.  I have the drives mounted in folders and looked at them individually but didn't find it there either.  I'll look again in a bit.

Well, it should be a php file (so text).

From what you posted, it was "\Files\Backups\old\My Website Backups\abcdef\2006_12_05\public_html\mpn\html\c99.php"

So you should find the file at "\PoolPart.xxxxx\Files\Backups\old\My Website Backups\abcdef\2006_12_05\public_html\mpn\html\c99.php"