read strip

clonea1

Question

from my understanding drivepool detects the difference between a usb and a sata ? so when it has to read it will pick the faster connection.  but here is the question

if I have two media Sonics connected each via USB 3 but one has WD reds on 6gbs sata and the other has WD greens at 3gbs and both are idle will drive pool pick the 6gbs before the 3gbs drives ? or does it not know the diff ?

14 answers to this question

Topic moved, so no worries there.

As for the speeds, and Read Striping, I'm not exactly sure. I'll have to ask Alex (the developer) about this.

However, for all intents, there shouldn't be a significant difference between SATA II and SATA III.  

The SATA II (3gbps) bus should be able to get very fast speeds (around 400MB/s) without any issues. Far faster that most "spinning" drives.

However, if the bus speed is detected as much slower, then yes, the Read Striping feature should read from the faster drive instead.

ok so as the drives are only 160 is rated per each and that is slow then the sata 2 bus its a null point other then maybe the drive cache.  figured eh I got the reds last week but now I have all these greens and well a mediasonic is only 100 bucks.

I just hope that a 15 foot USB 3 cable is not a bad idea we will see ( my entertainment center has cubbies on the left and right that used to have my HP media smarts so now I need something to match in the other wise it looks empty etc.. and the media sonic is the form factor to fit.

so right now I have the micro gigabyte pc on top of a media sonic in the right cubby and a hp media smart in the left cubby.  so I am going to move the micro pc to the cubby where the center speaker is and then run a whip to the left and to the right to each cubby to the media sonics.  should give me 24 TB of spinning disk

Pretty much. The SATA bus is pretty beefy, and has been for a while. :)

Though the Red's are a better choice for the pool. ;)

As for the USB3 cable, that shouldn't be a problem, as long as it's a good cable. And that you're not using too many disks in the enclosure (mediasonic has 4, 5 and 8 bay enclosures, IIRC).

And sounds like you have a nice entertainment center as well. :)

if I clean the family room I will take a picture it is a mess right now.

ya this is small scale this is only home stuff for media center disk storage (as my 200 disk change failed and is slow etc...) mainly the drives where a good price and I ran out of space on the greens

the hardware is eh like I said micro PC not really going for maximum performance just functional.  at work we have something like roughly 25,000 sq feet of netapp and emc vmx 40k's.  heck the primary sql server for the app I own support of has 4x8gb fiber cards :) about the fastest storage I have ever experienced

Don't worry about the PC's power. My dad's HTPC is based on this computer.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Next-Computing-Black-BOXDCCP847DYE/dp/B00B7I8HZ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424728303&sr=8-2

It doesn't take much to make a very functional HTPC.

I've been in your shoes at work, I'll take Netapp over EMC anyday. I hate working with EMC, but unfortunately I've been forced to since 2002 (although I did get out of operations 3 years ago!)  To give you an idea, just our enVision implementation was four racks of collectors and arrays. Then there was all the storage... ;)

I'm not worried about the HTPC it just the differences between home and work are so drastic that my mind is still set at work so having to so greatly down scale it for home is a adjustment

we use our netapps for the vmdx's for the guests and for shared business data and the EMC's for the really high end performance stuff

Sorry if I am stealing this thread but as it happens, I do not see any read striping at all.

One Pool consisting of 2 x 2TB Seagate NAS HDD, both connected to the same SATA 3 controller

WHS 2011 - DrivePool 2.1.1.561

x2 Duplication and Read striping is checked.

DP will show the bar "Read Striping" (next to Fast I/O) as 100% but in fact Disk Performance only shows I/O on one HDD and Resource Monitor and Scanner support this (i.e. both show now I/O on the other HDD).

Does that sound right?

Edit: I thought I had noticed this earlier, like when client backups are running, but in this case it was during a robocopy of ten 4GB files from the Pool to an SSD.

Because Read Striping doesn't always read from both disks and cache the reads.

If one of the disks is operating at a much higher bus speed, then it will only read from the faster disk instead. 

Details about the feature are here:

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Performance%20Options

That is the thing. These are the same drives, connected to the same controller with, both on a "SATA Rev 3.1 port (3.0 Gbps of 6.0 Gbps Max)", says Scanner.

Also, Scanner reports E:\ as a Bus speed of 96.5 MB/s and F:\ as a Bas speed of 199 MB /s but it is E:\ that it reads from :confused: