Cannot get OneDrive to behave on the pool

rtech73

Question

I have an Office 365 account and want to use OneDrive for online storage.   I have a Windows 8.1 "server" at home with a 25TB pool.     I recently reinstalled the OS (I had Windows 7 before, and was thinking that my problem getting OneDrive to sync properly was that it was using the Windows 7 client).    Now, with Windows 8.1 it seems that the problem is even worse and I'm wondering if it may be DrivePool that's the problem.

I read somewhere that putting OneDrive into the root of the Pool was a bad idea.   So, I created a root folder "Cloud Storage" and put my OneDrive folder in there (using the "Location" tab under the properties Menu).   Files were there previously on the Pool.   Everything seemed to Move OK.    I then copied several folders of Pictures to the pool and nothing would sync.

What I have discovered is that OneDrive is actually immediately crashing upon boot.  There is no syncing happening whatsoever.   I really want my server to be sort of the "home base" for my OneDrive storage (so that I have a local copy of everything at least in one place!).

I'm thinking about first deleting everything in the OneDrive folder and seeing if that will force a redownload of everything.   That would assume that it will no longer crash. . . 

Any ideas or tricks to get OneDrive to behave on DrivePool?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

DARN!

I'm so glad you replied as I would have kept fighting with this thing!   The symptoms thrown by putting OneDrive on the Pool directly resemble other issues that are around the forums.

Is this something that will be fixed/worked on?   This information took my server from the machine that would have ALL my OneDrive data to none of it (I have a small OS drive and everything else is pool).    Getting 20TB of storage on DropBox will be considerably more expensive!   :-)

It is perhaps the placeholder files that are causing the problem?    I know they took those out in the latest builds of Windows 10 (thinking about trying that out instead just for fun).   

Thanks again for being quick on the reply!   You saved me lots of continued headache!

Really hoping this can be made to work on DrivePool eventually...   Best way to take advantage of all that online storage!

I too ran into this issue, and I read back through the history in this forum and found multiple threads about this. I recently switched to Storage Spaces in Windows 8.1 and onedrive works without issue.

Alex/Chris,

Is this feature planning on being fixed in a future build so we can have onedrive in the pool? I would love to switch back to drivepool since it's better than storage spaces.

Investigating the issue and fixing it (if possible) is definitely on our "To-Do" list. However, I can't really give you an ETA.

Alex has been focusing on getting "StableBit CloudDrive" out as soon as he can. Once that's done, there is a bunch of code to backport to DrivePool (such as a much better issue feedback UI), and then onto hitting the to-do list.

While I know that's not really a great answer, we are a small company, and we are doing what we can, as fast as we can.

I looked at storage spaces.   When a drive needs to be removed, it's awful.   Stayed away from it.

For now I'm just using my 1TB in dropbox and keeping my OneDrive on a 256GB SSD.

I wonder...    could you put a .vhd on the pool and put OneDrive on that?   Akin to the trick of putting a .vhd on an SD drive on a Windows tablet.

As a side note, I tried installing Windows 10 T.P.   No dice.   It won't properly mount the pool (clicking the drive letter shows "error - incorrect paramter" or something like that.)    

There are some really nice things about that placeholder technology, but boy, it causes a LOT of problems.   Ultimately glad they ditched it for Win 10.

Absolutely. 

There should be no problem with that, at all. Other than getting it mounted when you reboot (but you could use a script to do that, if needed.

To clarify, you're having issues with StableBit DrivePool on the newest Windows 10 build? Or with OneDrive? Or? I'm not entirely sure here.

And yea, the "Tech Preview", it's an Alpha product. :)