Speed up duplication process

jhhoffma3

Question

Hi,

I've been a DrivePool users since it first came out (converted from WHS, then DriveBender).  Overall, I've never really been impressed with the speed of it's duplication process.  This is rarely a concern, as I've only ever lost 1 drive and adding drives isn't time sensitive.

However, I'm trying to upgrade the hardware on my file server this weekend and after removing 3 drives (to replace with another 3 higher-capacity units), the duplication process has been stuck at 57% for 24-48 hours.  I have about 13TB of actual data among 3 drives with total capacity of 30TB (2 12TB Red Plus + 1 8TB Gold).

Is there a way to speed up this process to complete faster.  The dashboard doesn't show any files open or anything other than the current folder being "worked on" when I hover the mouse over the progress bar.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

Screenshot 2022-11-26 114232.png

1 answer to this question

Sounds like the Duplication process is stuck. Have you tried stopping the Duplication process, and then restarting it? If I determine that DrivePool is frozen, sometimes I'll just shut down the computer/server and restart it again. In general, I find the DrivePool does a pretty good job at duplicating the folders in the background, but, like you said, it's not a very fast process.

Have you tried opening up Task Manager and checking to see if there is any disk activity? The progress bar in DrivePool does not offer much information on the activity going on in the background.

In the past, when I have had to swap out/in a number of HDDs all at the same time, I shut off all duplication, swapped out the HDDs, and then reset duplication for the folders I wanted. Only suggest that if you can survive without having all those files backed up all the time. But it allowed me to complete the swaps, get everything back up and running, and then do the duplication in the background at its own pace.

I wonder if the minimal info on the DrivePool task bar that really does not show any activity happening just makes a person think that everything is taking a very long time to complete. I know that transferring large volumes of data from one HDD to another with Windows Explorer can also take forever, but at least it shows you an activity box and the transfer speed.

If someone has a true method of speeding up duplication, I, too, would love to hear it.