DrivePool does not detect any Volumes/partitions newly created post-installation

Schematic4871

Question

Info:

DrivePool Version 2.3.1.1448

Windows 10 (64- bit)

Using trial license

Using Basic Disks and Simple Volumes

I'm not using Storage Spaces. Just using DrivePool to pool drives together.

Background:

When I first installed StableBit DrivePool, I was able to see all my non-pooled volumes in the GUI. DrivePool was able to see all my volumes. However, I decided to create new volumes on afterwards. And DrivePool can't detect any newly created volumes for some reason.

Troubleshooting:

I tried creating new volumes on 3 different physical drives.

I tried resetting DrivePool settings.

I tried uninstalling, rebooting, and re-installing DrivePool.

I tried deleting the newly formatted volume and recreating it. When I recreated it, I get this in service logs:

0:42:52.3: Information: 0 : [Disks] Got Volume_Arrive (volume ID: REDACTED, plex ID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000, %: 0)...
0:42:53.4: Information: 0 : [Disks] Got MountPoint_Change (volume ID: REDACTED)...
0:42:54.4: Information: 0 : [Disks] Updating disks / volumes...

None of these methods worked. Could you help out with this?

5 answers to this question

I think I understand what you are doing. You are partioning an HDD into 2 or more volumes and DrivePool does not recognize the new partitions.

From what I understand, and I could be wrong here, DrivePool reads the serial number (not the Drive letter) of the HDD and adds a hidden PoolPart folder to that drive. Problem is, if you add additional partitions to that drive, it still only has 1 serial number for that HDD. I ran into this issue thinking I could partition a SSD into 2 volumes and have 2 frontend caches for Duplication files. But no, it will not work that way because DrivePool only allows one hidden PoolPart folder per physical disk.

Sorry for the late reply.

On 11/29/2022 at 10:45 PM, gtaus said:

I think I understand what you are doing. You are partioning an HDD into 2 or more volumes and DrivePool does not recognize the new partitions.

Yep, that's correct. I originally left some free space on my drive to do some partition. Then I installed DrivePool. After installing DrivePool, I proceeded to create an additional volume afterwards. And it's this new volume that DrivePool can't see. (the X:\ volume)

From what I understand, and I could be wrong here, DrivePool reads the serial number (not the Drive letter) of the HDD and adds a hidden PoolPart folder to that drive. Problem is, if you add additional partitions to that drive, it still only has 1 serial number for that HDD. I ran into this issue thinking I could partition a SSD into 2 volumes and have 2 frontend caches for Duplication files. But no, it will not work that way because DrivePool only allows one hidden PoolPart folder per physical disk.

If that's the case, then it seems like I need to plan out the format of partitions in the drive before installing DrivePool.

That's really too bad. If I understand correctly, I don't think I even have any pools configured on my PC. I looked in the root of each volume letter any didn't see anything.
e.g. X:\PoolPart.xxxx\
But this folder doesn't exist on any of my volumes.

image.png.31c1193632140a53ce837ba8d5a558f2.png

image.thumb.png.68bcba408aef56bb6809e0e75df60a96.png

I even tried doing a complete removal of StableBit DrivePool using these instructions:
https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q3017479

On 12/22/2022 at 8:58 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Could you open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/contact about this? 

Hi Christopher, thanks, I made a ticket. I'm actually following up with you. And I linked to this thread from that ticket. Figured reaching a broader audience may provide more insight about this situation I'm having.

I figured out what the issue is. It may or may not be a bug.

Turns out if you create a simple volume that is <= 1024 MB, then DrivePool will not recognize that volume. But it will be recognized with if you create one that's >= 1025 MB in size.

This is with DrivePool version 2.3.2.1493 for any readers who see this in the future.