Scanner much slower on one drive

hugson

Question

I have just bought 4 4TB Western Digital Red Plus drives, and am in the process of having Scanner scan them for the 1st time. All have the same firmware version.

3 of them scan at about 1% every 25 seconds (increasing by about 0.13% each time), while the 4th scans at 1% about every 113 seconds (increasing by about 0.02% each time). What might account for this variation?

4 answers to this question

I have noticed that some of my HDDs are running hotter than others. The status showing on those drives often say "Throttling..." which I assume will slow down the scan on that drive to prevent it running even hotter. Anything different showing up on the status of the one HDD that is running so much slower than the other HDDs?

On 11/13/2022 at 6:22 AM, hugson said:

No, all 4 disks show the same temperature - around 32°. In fact, all Stablebit's data is pretty well identical for all 4 drives.

Yeah, I don't know. I have 20 USB HDDs (82TB) in my DrivePool and since I installed Scanner a few weeks ago, I am experiencing a number of issues slowing down my system and hanging. They seem to be related to Scanner and I have not been able to figure out why. So, unfortunately, I am to the point where I will be uninstalling Scanner to see if I can get my DrivePool running again, like it used to run.

I have a smaller DrivePool volume with only 3 USB HDDs (10TB) and Scanner seems to run fine on that volume. Maybe the number of USB HDDs in a pool affects the performance of Scanner?

Anyway, DrivePool is my home media server and I have not been able to access my files because Scanner appears to be slowing down, or completely hanging, my DrivePool. At least, I know I never had these issues before I installed Scanner. So, I will be uninstalling Scanner to see if I can return DrivePool to its former state.

9 hours ago, gtaus said:

Anyway, DrivePool is my home media server and I have not been able to access my files because Scanner appears to be slowing down, or completely hanging, my DrivePool. At least, I know I never had these issues before I installed Scanner. So, I will be uninstalling Scanner to see if I can return DrivePool to its former state.

Uninstalled Scanner last night. Restarted my server. DrivePool is back to working normally, again, at normal speeds and completing all the Measuring, Checking, and Balancing tasks in a matter of a few hours - which is what is takes on my 20 USB HDDs (82TB).

I really liked the way Scanner worked on my smaller (3 HDD/10 TB) DrivePool volume, but for some reason all I got were problems with my 20 USB HDD DrivePool volume. Thanks to Stablebit for allowing us a 30 day trial period to see if the program works for our setup. I ended up using Scanner for 3 weeks and had a lot of issues with the program that I was not able to resolve. But it was good to give it a try.