Scanner keeps reporting the same errors regardless

Nerva

Question

I'm seeing what seems like buggy notification behavior from Stablebit Scanner.   It started a year or so ago when I first installed it -- notification balloons would popup telling me that a given disk was overheating.   The overheating was a known issue so I disabled the notification for overheating -- except it continues (for months now) to give me notification balloons about the same disks overheating, even though the notification should be disabled.   I would also get notifications even when the drives in question were not above their temperature limit.

Now, within the last couple weeks, it detected damage to one of the hard drives -- it said that 3.5kb are unreadable on one of the drives.   It kept giving me the notification, so I took the drive out of service (removed it from DrivePool where it was being used to duplicate another drive).   Yet it still kept giving me the "unreadable data" notification for the now-empty drive.   So I decided to FORMAT the drive (not a quick format, a full format).   And... it STILL tells me that 3.5kb of my data on a completely empty drive is unreadable.

From what I can tell, the notifications are "stuck".

4 answers to this question

Hi I just had a similar problem scanner was stuck reporting 1 bad sector even tho it had been fixed I ran scanner on another machine and the drive was fine so I uninstalled it on the server a complete removal reboot then reinstalled and this time when it scanned the drive it was fine not sure it will work for you but it did me

As for the temperature thing, you can override the temperature max, by right clicking on the disk and selecting the "Disk Settings" option. From there, you can set the max temp for the drive.  This may be better for this disk.

Alternatively, if you open the Scanner Settings (click on "Settings" in the toolbar), on the "Heat" tab, you can set the "Warning Threshold" for the disks. By default, this is 15C, but you could set it to something lower. Or set the global max temp here (for "unknown disks", as we use the manufacturer values for disks we know). 

As for the unreadable/damaged sectors, ... well, we won't apologize for being very good at tracking the disks (as that's usually a very good thing).

However, this could be handled better (or more specifically, we should give better feedback about this).

To clear this, find the disk in question, and click on the "+" next to the disk.

This should open up a big section, with a lot of info about the surface scan. On the left side of the sector map, should be four buttons. Click on the bottom most one (the one with a green circle and a yellow arrow in it). 

Select the "Mark all unreadable sectors as unchecked". This will clear that status and cause StableBit Scanner to start a surface scan as soon as it can.

Additionally, in the Scanner Settings window, on the "Scanner" tab, you can instruct StableBit Scanner to re-scan unreadable sectors more often. By default, everything is checked every 30 days. However, you can set the "re-check unreadable sectors" to a lower value (such as 3), so that it will rescan these damaged sectors every 3 days.

The real issue is why does Stablebit Scanner keep popping up bubble notifications for obsolete issues that I've already clicked on and opened the program to see the details of?   The hard drive in question had been WIPED and REFORMATTED, and yet Scanner keeps telling me I have unreadable data on a disk with no data stored on it!

And why does it keep giving me bubble notifications for issues that I've DISABLED the bubble notifications for??