Large CloudDrive cache issue

red

Question

In the past few months, electricity prices have skyrocketed. I've set my PC too sleep automatically after 10 minuutes of idle time. I use wake-on-lan to wake my PC   up so that Plex is available when I want to watch stuff. My library consists of 20TB local data, and around 40TB of cloud data.

I've set my CloudDrive cache at 500GB to a dedicated SSD. This means that when I want to watch a series that's purely in the cloud, there's ample space to cache whatever I play, and it stays cached for a long time. This setup has served me well for a few years.

Queue setting sleep timer for my PC. No issues.

Then I added a smart power plug as well. I remotely tell my PC to shutdown, and after 30 minutes, AC power is removed. This rids my setup of any access to electricity.

This has resulted in the scenario, that most days as I cold boot my PC, drive decides to undergo recovery. I'm not sure why, because when I shut down, I don't abort the service, and my PC shuts down at it's own leasure. EDIT: Unless the issue is that 30min is not enough time for the CloudDrive service to gracefully shut down?

I kind of understand why recovery uploads the cache back to cloud, but a 500GB upload every few days? Whoa. How can I sort the issue out without turning my cache down to a measly few GBs?

The large cache size has really sped up when Plex decides to do a full folder scan of the complete structure. I've around 25k series files, and 2k movie files, plus assorted .srt and .jpg files per folder for metadata.

2 answers to this question

16 hours ago, red said:

Then I added a smart power plug as well. I remotely tell my PC to shutdown, and after 30 minutes, AC power is removed. This rids my setup of any access to electricity.

This has resulted in the scenario, that most days as I cold boot my PC, drive decides to undergo recovery. I'm not sure why, because when I shut down, I don't abort the service, and my PC shuts down at it's own leisure.

Do you have Windows "fast start" enabled? Remember that "fast start" is simply hibernation by another name. When you select "Shutdown", your system actually hibernates.

"Fast start" is enabled by default when you first install Windows, and if you disable it, major Windows updates will re-enable it (so you need to disable it again). "Fast start" is enabled and disabled in Windows power settings.

I use hibernation on my own system, and I have measured the power consumption at around 3 watts when the system is hibernating. Interestingly, it is also around 3 watts when the system is shutdown, so I understand your desire to disconnect the power from the system. However, remote-control electric mains sockets and timers also consume around 3 watts. Only a manual on/off mains switch will truly eliminate electricity consumption when the system is not in use.

I don't use the cloud, so I don't know how that affects things.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

On 10/7/2022 at 7:58 PM, red said:

Unless the issue is that 30min is not enough time for the CloudDrive service to gracefully shut down?

Not necessarily the CloudDrive service – there are many other circumstances preventing the shutdown from completing within 30 minutes. A shutdown can even get automatically cancelled if certain prompts (“program xy prevents shutdown – do you want to shutdown anyway?”) are not answered. Also pending Windows updates could increase the shutdown duration.“Fast start” or Hibernation would not contribute to this issue.