Where is the data being stored for Scanner?

omniphil

Question

I have one SSD drive that has some bad sectors which is pretty typical, but Scanner won't let me get rid of the warnings.

I have disabled Surface scan on this drive and I figure if I uninstalled Scanner and reinstalled it would start fresh and I could just not surface scan that one drive.

Once I uninstalled I went into both Program Files folders and deleted anything that said Scanner and also did the same in %AppData%

Once I reinstalled it automatically picked up all the old settings and errors before even scanning the drive.

How can I do a fresh install deleting any saved data?

1 answer to this question

I think you're looking for this: 
https://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Disk Scanning Panel#Sector Map

As for getting rid of the warnings: Don't.  If these are unreadable sectors, they are exactly what they sound like: spots on the disk that StableBit Scanner was not able to read from, at all. (or at least, in a reasonably timely manner).  This can sometimes happen if there are communication issues (such as a loose or bad cable), but if they consistently return, it indicates an issue. 

The best way to clear the status is writing to those sectors.    StableBit Scanner isn't designed to do this, as it actively avoids writing to the disks.  
However, a full, non-quick format pass may correct these unreadable sectors.