Drive settings revealed by Scanner

RobbieH

Question

3 answers to this question

By the "head parks", I am guessing that you are referring to the "Load Cycle Count" value, as this is specifically the count of the the load/unload cycles into the head landing zone position.

As for the timeout setting, I believe that is listed in the "Disk Control" section for the disk.

OK, Load Cycle. I guess 142228 is a large number on my green drive. I need to address that with WDIDLE3.

The reason I was wanting to see this was due to me adding my new Red drive. There is a firmware update to address the head parking, but when I tried to apply it, it said my firmware was already up to date. With a load cycle count of 57 on that drive, I'd say it is not a problem on that drive.

I don't see anywhere that shows how many seconds this is set to, especially not in the Disk Control section.

That depends on how old the drive is. If it's less than a couple of years old, then yes, that is getting rather high.

As for WDIDLE3, be careful. This reflashes the firmware, so make sure you don't have anything you can't lose on the drive (aka, backup the drive or make sure you have copies of the file elsewhere).

But otherwise, this may be a very good idea.

As for the WD Red drives, these are MUCH better about head parking, and shouldn't need to be It's mainly JUST the Green drives that suffer from the overly aggressive head parking issue.