Possibly dumb new guy question

Wayne Kastelan

Question

New to Stablebit Drive Pool, I created a pool, added a couple of drives to it and a new Drive (N) was created on my system. I looked at the contents of Drive N expecting to see the contents of the two drives I added to the pool and there was nothing there even though the system said that so much was used and so much free. I copied a new file to the pool and it was listed. How do I get the existing files on the drives in the pool to show. I had assumed (as I have experienced with other drive pooling software) that the existing contents of my drives E and F would show under drive N (as well as under drives E and F). So what have I missed or done wrong.

3 answers to this question

Hey Wayne,

It doesn't work that way unfortunately.

When you create a new pool, drivepool creates (hidden) folders on the two hard drives (called PoolPart.xxx). The files that are already on the two hard drives will not show up on N. 

The easiest way I would get your files on N would be to move the files from your E and F drives to the new N drive.

Some people also take the files from each drive that are outside the PoolPart folder and just drag them into that folder.

Hope that helps you a bit!

Hi 4Frame

Thanks for the reply. Understand what you are saying and will do so. Just different to my previous experience (the drive pooling part of Flex Raid - had a few issues with it randomly stopping the network share for the pooled drive so decided I would try another pool option.). There probably is a very good reason for doing it this way.

I will still keep the raid part of Flex Raid though, as I do not want to loose valuable space with what would be taken up with Drive Pool's duplication option.

Yes, when adding a disk to the pool, we don't add the contents automatically. We leave it there, so that you can continue to use the disk as you were before. That way, we don't interefere with your setup. 

However, you can "seed" the pool (move the contents into the Pool very quickly). To do so:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

Additionally, we do have a number of users that have set up FlexRAID or SnapRAID with StableBit DrivePool. Using our software for the pool, but FlexRAID/SnapRAID to handle parity. 

If you're interested in doing this, we do have a number of links to threads talking about the best ways to set this up.

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/52-faq-parity-and-duplication-and-drivepool/

Just check out the second post in that link.