Damaged File System Error Will Not Clear

RJGNOW

Question

Title says it all.... Damaged File System Error Will Not Clear.

1) Removed drive from pool,

2) Reformatted HDD

3) Re-added drive to pool.

4) Forced Scanner to rescan drive

Error persists in scanner.

5) double checked with the windows disk check and it return OK.

Now what? (I just started a 2nd scan)

I also noticed that even with a corrupted file system, DrivePool was still reading and writing data to that drive. I know that the drive will evacuate on a SMART error but it doesn't look like that happens with any other error???

Scanner Version : 2.5.2.3074 BETA

To make sure, the disk is okay, but StableBit Scanner keeps on flagging it as a damaged file system?

If so, are you using NTFS or a different file system for the disk in question?

If you're using NTFS, could you enable the advanced logging for StableBit Scanner?

To do this, you will need to open the StableBit Scanner UI.
Click on the Settings button in the toolbar and select Scanner Settings. Enable the Show advanced settings and information option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.
Click on Settings, and select the new Advanced Settings and information option.

Find the "ChkDsk" entry in the list and click on it. Let this run and error out.

Once it does, grab the contents of "C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner\" and sent it to us via the contact form (https://stablebit.com/Contact)

In the meanwhile, you can use the DIsk Settings to disable the file system scan, at least temporarily.

Will do, but why doesn't this scanner fault reach DrivePool to initiate an evacuation?

Because, in general, the damage has already been done. Moving it off may actually cause more problems, as it may grab corrupted files (or the security permissions may be corrupt on it, etc).  So moving the data off isn't helpful.

Same exact thing just happened on one of my other machines.. This box is a Win 7 machine with 2 RAID (Mirror) drives...  Will not clear, even though windows chdisk says no problems... Running yet another scan...

To clarify, are you resetting the status on the file system scan and it's coming back as healthy? Or is just not clearing at all?

And to clear it, click on the "+" on the left hand side of the disk. Find the "File system health" section and click on the up arrow thing. This should reveal a list of the volumes on the disk, and have a button on the left side. Click on it and select the "mark all damaged files systems as unchecked" and then let is scan again. 

See if it comes back.

Thanks Christopher,

1) If it is dangerous to move any file on the effected HDD, then why does DrivePool continue to use the drive (reads and writes)?  I would think that scanner should notify DrivePool of the error and at the very least cause DrivePool to stop utilizing the disk or start duplicating to another drive if at all possible.??

OK: That solved it, so I guess when scanner does a surface scan it doesn't check the file system? As I ran 2 scans after I did a windows repair?

2) On my WHS 2011 Box:

a: When you attempt to repair the disk through Scanners UI, it crashes WHS connector window and pretty much locks the interface up it you try to reconnect. I send the files after this took place.

1. Generally, because the danger has passed. The issue has already occurred. 

CHKDSK (what we use for the file system scan) will identify and fix existing errors. 

It's not really for detecting new issues. The reason we added it to StableBit Scanner is because WHSv1 did run chkdsk passes automatically. But WHS2011 and other OS's don't. So we added it, to add additional health checks, basically.

So evacuating the disks due to a file system issue wouldn't help protect your data at all. That is ... if the disk errors would even ALLOW you to move the data off of the disk.

As for running the scans, they are handled separately. IIRC, the file system scan happens after the surface scan is completed.

2. Do you mean that it crashes the Dashboard? If so, could you grab the logs from "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs".

Came across this thread.  Am having same issue with Stablebit Scanner 2.5.1.3062 on a WSE12R2 box. SBS reports File System Damaged despite repeated Windows chkdsk /f and /r passes not reporting any issues.  Even if I mark all blocks unchecked and initiate a scan with SBS, it says File System Damaged.  Not sure how to override the damaged file system error?

Please advise.  Thanks.

Came across this thread.  Am having same issue with Stablebit Scanner 2.5.1.3062 on a WSE12R2 box. SBS reports File System Damaged despite repeated Windows chkdsk /f and /r passes not reporting any issues.  Even if I mark all blocks unchecked and initiate a scan with SBS, it says File System Damaged.  Not sure how to override the damaged file system error?

Please advise.  Thanks.

Are you using the "/scan" switch as well?  

If so, then DON'T.  This switch skips a number of important checks in order to keep the volume online.   

Otherwise, let me know. 

Welcome back Christopher! I too am having this problem. It just started out of the blue. Here are my specs:

• Scanner 2.5.2.3124 BETA
  • DrivePool 2.2.0.742 BETA
  • Windows Server 2016 Standard bare metal install
  • HighPoint RocketRaid 2760A

Scanner is now reporting that my system drive and one of the pooled drives have file system damage. I have scheduled the C: drive to be scanned on the next restart with /f and /r options. Here are the chdsk results from the pooled drive:

PS C:\Users\Administrator> mountvol F:\ "\\?\Volume{c36115c7-9b09-4dcc-a6eb-e00483938a84}\"
PS C:\Users\Administrator> chkdsk /f /r f:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) Y
Volume dismounted.  All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.
Volume label is HGST 6TB C1R4.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
  7168 file records processed.
File verification completed.
  838 large file records processed.
  0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
  12344 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.
  0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
  2588 data files processed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
  7152 files processed.
File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
  273236166 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

5723036 MB total disk space.
   4655460 MB in 3439 files.
      1792 KB in 2590 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    252179 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
1092944668 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
1465097471 total allocation units on disk.
 273236167 allocation units available on disk.
PS C:\Users\Administrator> mountvol F:\ /D
PS C:\Users\Administrator> 

Once chkdsk started, I removed the disk from the pool. All of the pool data is duplicated, so I just forced damaged disk removal. It still took a long time trying to remove the poolpart from the disk due to the dismounted state, but the removal process eventually completed. The duplication from that is still running, BUT DrivePool no longer sees the disk at all now that the chkdsk is done, for some reason. I will wait and see if that changes once the duplication is finished. I went to the disk in Scanner and clicked "Start Scan" and now the Scanner UI is Not Responding, and it has been 20+ minutes so far.

***UPDATE***
Scanner started responding after about an hour, and the disk is scheduled for scanning. DrivePool now sees the disk again, but I cannot add it to be pool because it says it cannot be added twice. I will have to reboot or restart the DP service when I can to get the disk back in the pool.

***UPDATE2***
After rebooting the server for updates, the disk is back in DrivePool. Clicking Start Scan on the 2 reported damaged disks does nothing at the moment. No drives are being scanned. I will wait a while to see if that changes.

@otis, for ease, you don't need to mount the volume.  

Simply running chkdsk /r \\?\Volume{c36115c7-9b09-4dcc-a6eb-e00483938a84}" would complish the same thing without having to mount (and unmount) the drive. 

As for the specific error, could you enable verbose logging in StableBit Scanner? 

Click on the "Settings" button in the toolbar and select "Scanner Settings". Enable the "Show advanced settings and information" option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.
Click on "Settings", and select the new "Advanced Settings and information" option.  Find the "Chkdsk" option and select "verbose", and then get it to run a new scan.  

Grab the logs, and upload them (run this):

Chances are, you're probably seeing "Error (3)" events in the logs, and that's why it's erroring out.  This is a known issue, but we haven't had a chance to take an in depth look at what is going on.   And if this is the issue, this is a very inconsistent issue, which makes it harder to track down. 

As for DrivePool not seeing the drive, this is normal when running a scan.  The disk check takes the volume offline, making it "invisible" to StableBit DrivePool (and other utilities, actually).   Once it completes, it comes back "online", and is then avaialble again. 

As for clearing the status, or even getting it to re-scan...
double click on the drive in question, click on the ">" next to the "File system health" and click on the button with the green circle.  From there, you can change the status manually (healthy, unchecked, etc) 

@otis, for ease, you don't need to mount the volume.  

Simply running chkdsk /r \\?\Volume{c36115c7-9b09-4dcc-a6eb-e00483938a84}" would complish the same thing without having to mount (and unmount) the drive. 

I did try this first, but it complained that there was no mount point...maybe something new in Server 2016.

As for the specific error, could you enable verbose logging in StableBit Scanner? 

Click on the "Settings" button in the toolbar and select "Scanner Settings". Enable the "Show advanced settings and information" option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.
Click on "Settings", and select the new "Advanced Settings and information" option.  Find the "Chkdsk" option and select "verbose", and then get it to run a new scan.  

Done!

Grab the logs, and upload them (run this):

I marked unchecked and was able to get both disks to scan again. The smaller one finished and is reporting File System Damage again, and this one had no issues found on the chkdsk /f /r that ran when I rebooted. I will upload the logs when the larger disk has finished scanning.

Odd, because I know for a fact that it should work.  This ... is basically how we're calling it in StableBit Scanner, and I can confirm that this works on both Windows 10 and Server 2016.  

However, make sure there is no trailing backslash ("\"), as this will cause it to error out. 

As for the logs, it looks like they didn't get uploaded. Could you do this, instead: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Logs

There should be a big, green "submit files" button, and that should take you to an upload form. 

The larger disk finally finished scanning and now shows File System Damaged too. I have used the troubleshooter to upload all the logs. Please let me know if you need anything else.

***UPDATE***

When I choose the option in Scanner to repair the disk, I get the following Exception:

Task Failed

Exception of type
'ScannerCom.Info.TaskStates.Exceptions.ChkdskExce...
was thrown

I'm now having this issue. My version is 2.5.2.3129 Beta. CHKDSK /f x: has 3 times reported no problems with 2 drives, but Scanner continues to report file system damage on both, even after setting CHKDSK to Verbose. I have run the troubleshooter to upload the relevant data files.

Oh, and I tried to run chkdsk /r \\?\Volume{c36115c7-9b09-4dcc-a6eb-e00483938a84} but it said the volume cannot be opened for direct access.

Oops. I just ran CHKDSK again on one of the drives and it said there were orphaned files that it recovered. I'm rescanning that drive now. On the other drive, however, CHKDSK still did not find any problems and SBS is still reporting a damaged file system.