New setup and moving folders

`Majestyk007

Question

Hello All:

Quick background: I was using WHS2011 and DrivePool on an old laptop (T9300/4GB/160GB), connected with expresscard/34 esata to 4-bay NAS. I decided to replace the server with a new, faster laptop (i7/8GB/320GB). Install went fine, upgraded to DrivePool 2.x (very slick), all the data files and folders rebuilt and works properly..... except:

1)  (StableBit problem) The Client backup folders are still mapped to D:\Server Folders\Client Computer Backups\  All the rest are where they should be, in the Pool drive J:

J:\Server Folders\etc...

I tried moving the folder from D: to J: but it says a folder with that name already exists and will not allow me to move the folder to J:

2)  (WHS Problm) I am trying to create accounts for family member to allow read access but when I type their names, it saya it cannot create the user account since it already exists. It must still exist from previous installation, even though it's new hardware.

System:

HP EliteBook 2560p, i7-2640m, 8GB DDR, 320GB HDD (60/237 partitions), USB to eSata (port-multiplier), 4-Bay NAS:

Covecube Virtual Disk (2199.02 GB) -- drive 5
SAMSUNG HD103SI USB Device [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 4
SAMSUNG HD154UI USB Device [Hard drive] (1500.30 GB) -- drive 2
SAMSUNG HD204UI USB Device [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 1
ST4000DM 000-1F2168 USB Device [Hard drive] (4000.78 GB) -- drive 3
TOSHIBA MK3261GSYN [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, rev MH000C, SMART Status: Healthy

Windows Server 2008 R2 Home Server 2011 Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

Stable Bit 2.1.1.561

Scanner: (Trial)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

Stuart

post-1858-0-38661700-1421516721_thumb.png

6 answers to this question

For the client backups, that really depends.

The easiest way is to do a registry hack to use the new location.

Otherwise, if the files have been copied to the pool already, stop the client backup service on the server, delete the old folder and "recreate" the new one at the correct location.

And as for the user accounts, I'm not sure. 

Check to make sure the users actually exist on the system first. If they don't then you may need to delete the "users" folders.

I'm having a similar problem. I set up WIndows Home Server 2011. I then installed Drivepool. I added drives into the pool, but I cannot move all of the folders into the pool because it says they already exist there.  So I've got some folders in the pool, and others stuck to a particular hard drive that have been included in the pool. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm having a similar problem. I set up WIndows Home Server 2011. I then installed Drivepool. I added drives into the pool, but I cannot move all of the folders into the pool because it says they already exist there.  So I've got some folders in the pool, and others stuck to a particular hard drive that have been included in the pool. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Run the "WSS Troubleshooter" utility. Select the "Restore DrivePool Shares" option.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities

This should fix the issue for you. If not, let me know.

So, I downloaded it and tried it. It didn't work, at least not for all of the folders. I got a message that said "Fix was not successfully applied. Unable to re-share 'G\ServerFolders\Music'. THat folder is already shared at 'D:\ServerDolders\Music', and the existing shared folder is not empty."

I don't see a way to unshare that folder. I really don't want to have to delete over 100 GB of music out and redo it, plus the other folders that wouldn't move. What are your next thoughts?

Thanks.

Is the D:\ drive in the pool?

If so, then you can "seed" the pool:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

If not, then you could add it and then seed the pool.

Either way, this moves the contents into the pool's structure, so it should be rather quickly. 

Once that's done, you should be able to reshare the folder.

Also, you should be able to "stop sharing" the folder in the dashboard.

Otherwise, run "fsmgmt.msc", oepn the "Shares" section, and find the "Music" share. Right click on it and select "Stop Sharing".

Then rerun the WSS Troubleshooter.