Drive "Damaged", DrivePool moved files

RobbieH

Question

OK, I have a problem where two hard drives (Samsung ST320005454AS) are showing "Damaged" with bad sectors. I ran the repair, I recovered the files, but how do I remove the "Damaged" status? It appears DrivePool is taking this into consideration and moving all my files over to the drives it thinks are not damaged. Since these were found on the first run of Scanner, I think probably the worst is over, and I can put the drives back in the pool and let DrivePool balance them. But, I can't figure out how.

Oh, and something that crossed my mind, I think it would be a good addition to allow us to delete the bad files. In my case they were surveillance camera images that I really did not care about. What I would have liked to do is to delete the files and mark the sectors as bad.

I'm going to date myself here, but back in the old DOS days when we used MFM hard drives, I used SpinRite (yes, I know they are still around) to scan my drives and mark bad sectors. That's pretty much all I want to do. 

Oh, and back then if you bought a 1:1 interleave controller, you could low level format the drive with SpinRite with data in place (no data loss) to take advantage of it. Not relevant, but had to share in case someone else is as old as me. :)

12 answers to this question

To clear the drive's status, open up the StableBit Scanner UI. Find the disk in question, and click on the "+" next to the disk.

This opens up the sector map section. On the left side, there should be four buttons. Click on the fourth button (it should have a green circle with a yellow circular arrow).  There should be a "mark all damaged sectors as unchecked".

This will cause StableBit Scanner to rescan the disk.

I'm still having issues. Once I select "Mark all Unreadable blocks Unchecked", it starts a rebalance which appears to move things around again. But then I believe it is rescanning the unreadable blocks (or something is happening), and the damaged sectors again show up, I get a warning, and DrivePool takes those drives out of balancing. It causes my other drives to go to 0 bytes free, which causes its own set of warnings to be continually popped up and emailed to me.

EDIT: It appears to be a worse situation than I initially realized. DrivePool starts reporting that the available disk space is ZERO, which is causing my applications to stop processing or storing data. 

Hi I would do a safe removal of the drive selecting only to copy non duplicated data then do a full format of the drive then let scanner at it before u add it back to pool bad sectors don't mean a drive is knackerd but you may need to force it to remap the damaged ones a full format will do that

I couldn't remove the drive from the pool due to CRC errors. So I ran chkdsk /f /B and that fixed the problems (took forever!). Removed the drive from the pool, which turned out to not be all that hard since DrivePool had moved most off due to the errors anyway. Then ran a full format, which took 10 hours. Put the drive back in the pool, and all is well so far. I just wish there were an easier way to do this.

Hi me too but I have had to do that few times and touch wood the drives have been fine since. it would nice to maybe have an option to shuffle the data around it may help keep the drives more fresh and help identify problems much earlier. But I am glad it has helped

I learned something today about the hard drives that have been giving me trouble.

The ST32000542AS has a problem in BIOS version CC34 that causes data corruption and shortens drive life. The upgrade to CC35 to resolve this is here:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/213915en?language=ja-jp

Thing is, the BIOS won't install on the majority of these drives for some odd reason. But I found the directions to force the update here:

http://niallbest.com/seagate-2tb-st32000542as-cc35-firmware-upgrade/

If you have one of these drives, it's not me telling you to force this update. Do so at your own risk. :)

WHS and DrivePool scanner still see these as Samsung drives. Mine are re-labeled Seagate. Yeah, I know, Seagate owns those drives now.

I learned something today about the hard drives that have been giving me trouble.

The ST32000542AS has a problem in BIOS version CC34 that causes data corruption and shortens drive life. The upgrade to CC35 to resolve this is here:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/213915en?language=ja-jp

Thing is, the BIOS won't install on the majority of these drives for some odd reason. But I found the directions to force the update here:

http://niallbest.com/seagate-2tb-st32000542as-cc35-firmware-upgrade/

If you have one of these drives, it's not me telling you to force this update. Do so at your own risk. :)

WHS and DrivePool scanner still see these as Samsung drives. Mine are re-labeled Seagate. Yeah, I know, Seagate owns those drives now.

Yikes. :(

As for the firmware, make sure that you don't have any critical data on the drives before updating the firmware. As with all firmware upgrades, there is always a risk of bricking the device when doing so.

As for the full format... that may not have been necessary, after the chkdsk pass, it should have been fine. However, running the surface scan afterwards should have verified that.

And I'm sorry to hear about all of the disk issues with the drive.

Well, it still sucks. Hard drive failure always sucks. :(]

If you're getting a lot of reallocated sectors, or it's increasing, then you may want to consider replacing (or RMAing) the drive.

And you can ignore the current or future increases to the value, in the SMART details options, if you want.