Options for expanding DrivePool

fantomdew

Question

So i have been searching for awhile and cannot find a good solution. So looking to see if anyone else can help think "outside the box".

I currently have one 45 drive case that i am almost done filling. I am about to acquire a second 45 drive case and looking to expand DrivePool into that. What i am trying to figure out is how to combine the two servers into one to present as one file share for my network. I am not a fan of the "turn it into a drive enclosure" idea as i think it presents to many drives for one server to handle. Scanner already takes forever to scan the 45 drives in the one case for it to potentially be scanning 90 drives is not a thought i like. My hope was to use StableBit on each server to handle that processing and then maybe getting a "head" server to then combine the servers together in some way. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

I understand what you want to do, but I don't have the answer with my limited knowledge using home based meida servers. What OS are you running? There may be some solution in higher priced enterprise based servers, but I would not know how to do it with DrivePool. I know DrivePool can work with sub-pools, but I think they have to be on the same server. Maybe not. I hope somebody can give you more direction.

BTW, a 45 drive case?! I would be interested in what you use. I currently have 19 USB HDDs (80+ TBs) on my DrivePool, but I have problems loading all those drives on a reboot. I had to buy USB power hubs that have individual on/off switches for each port. When I reboot my server, I first have to turn off all my USB drives, then when the server is up and running, I have to turn on each drive, one by one, waiting maybe 30 seconds for each USB drive to be recognized by the OS before I go on to the next drive. If I could dump all those HDDs into one case and bypass my current USB problems, that would be great. If you can, let me know what you use so I can check it out.

For the OS i am using Windows Server 2022. There is a feature in Windows server OS's called DFS Namespace. I thought that would work but either i dont have it setup right or its not doing what i thought it would do.

For the case i acquired one of the case from 45Drives.com. They can run pretty expensive but i know a business that was getting rid of one so i got it used. I actually have upgraded from some of the Norco 24 bay servers. Not sure how your setup for room but to get those higher drive counts your looking more for a server case. if you google 24 bay server cases you should find plenty.

Have NOT fully tested this yet but I think it's possible with CloudDrive. 

Option 1: use Drivepool on the 2nd server and create one big drive, share it on the network, and use CloudDrive on the main server to connect to that share and it will become a drive that can be brought into DrivePool on the main server.

Option 2: Share each of the drives on the 2nd server on the network individually, connect to each using CloudDrive on the main server, and you'll see them each appear in DrivePool to be added to your pool.

Not sure which method would be more efficient for load balancing and such...