Pooled size != Duplication size

Cato

Question

Hi,

I've pooled and duplicated all server shares, including Client Computer Backups.

Under DrivePool these sizes are shown:

Pooled: 1,26 TB

Duplicated: 1,18 TB

Pool condition is 100%.

Shouldn't these be the same? If so, how can I fix it?

Sincerely,

Cato Antonsen

Btw, thanks for bringing a missed feature from WHSv1 to WHS2011! I'm still using trial version, but I will most probably buy it

2 answers to this question

I actually noticed the same thing and here are some screenshots of my instance. 

Version: 2.0.0.260 Beta

Drives: 2x 2TB in Pool

Duplication Setting: Pool Duplication enabled.

DrivePool screen showing the "x2" is on for the drive pool and 20.2gb are being duplicated as well as 3.56 gb "other"

DrivePool

DrivePool screen showing the same thing when hovering over the drives. Duplicated 10.1gb, 1.78gb other. It shows this for both drives.

DrivePool w/ Drive Details

The propery screen for the hidden folders on each drive: 11.6gb each

Folder Properties

It looks like all the files are on both drives so I don't think it's an issue with duplication not working... I think something isn't being reported correctly back to the UI. In the previous version isn't there an option to check file duplication integrity? If not, is that something that can be added down the road?

"Other" stuff can be stuff on those HDDs that are outside of the pool. As well as "Shadow Copies" (which are invisible but are counted):

From Alex's recent blog post

And then there’s “Other”. “Other” always confuses people, but it literally is everything else.

So what else is there?

• Non-pooled files that exist on that disk. Remember that just because a disk is part of the pool doesn’t mean that you can’t continue to use that disk to store non-pooled files.
  • NTFS Metadata. For every file on a NTFS volume, there is additional metadata associated with that data stream, like the file name, file attributes, modification times, etc… These typically take very little disk space, but can add up if you have lots of files.
  • Directory entries. On NTFS, directory entries are actually stored as regular files with a “directory” attribute. But instead of a data stream, they contain a little database of index entries for each file (and subdirectory) that exists under them.
  • Slack space. Just because you have a 100GB volume, doesn’t mean that you can use all 100 Gigabytes of that volume to store data. NTFS divides your volume into equally sized chunks called clusters, which are typically 4096 bytes in size. If your file doesn’t fit neatly into these clusters then there’s going to be some space at the end of the file that’s wasted. We call this “slack space”.