Lost my pool

britgeezer

Question

I was messing around adding SSD's for optimizer (see the sticky thread above) when I started getting errors in adding 2 identical 256GB SSD's, one stopped at 95%, the other gave a message saying can't add same drive.

I accepted an option to apply default settings and now have lost access to the Pool.

The correct pool name is there in a largely blank screen but all the storage drives have the + option to add the drives. I get a message saying can't add the drives if I try.

The pool status bar at the bottom shows no pool when I run the cursor over it.

I think I have messed up Drivepool itself and the information on my normal pool is lost since I can't see the normal display (using W10) - thought I would post here for help before I try to reinstall DP beta version.

I did disconnect the 2 new SSD's since they had generated a message to DL new drivers 55005/-RST. I did try loading them but it came back with a wrong version error.

PC boots OK but DP doesn't load automatically and takes 2-3 minutes to load if I open the link.

Help please.

10 answers to this question

As for the PoolPart.xxxxxx folders, these are normal, and how the software stores the pooled information.   

The "xxxxxx" part is called a "GUID" and is a (mostly) unique hexidecimal string/number, created for each disk. 

Don't delete these folders... or the contents in them, as you will remove the pool. 

The extra alpha numeric folders were from 2014 and empty, happy to say no problems when I deleted them.

I managed to empty my 8TB drive and format to get rid of the junk folders and now I'm reduplicating the storage files to ensure they are duplicated on different HD's.

Thanks to all for the help.

Update - PC wouldn't boot this morning so I'm doing a fresh install. My fault I messed around with too much. :o

Will probably need your help to reset my DP and Scanner codes since I was unable to turn them off my end.

Finders crossed that the pool is there intact - it normally is :)

britgeezer,

Done that a dozen times.

Can tell you that Thanks to Chris and Alex, the solution is a little complex but doable.

Possible Problem...  Is DrivePool using drives not installed in a system.  Such as USB Drives, Cloud Providers, Network Links if so, Disconnect them all.

Disconnect all drives that have DrivePool used and build you a fresh install.

Do not install DrivePool until you have looked at each drive and verified the filesystem on each partition on the drives.

You can at that time move all files from the Hidden PoolPart to a Temp Filename.  Then delete the covefs ( I found that was important)

After all drives have been checked, your System is on with all drives that were part of your Drive Pool.  Install the Drive Pool program.

It will find all of the Drivepool drives and restart your system.

Now you can do the safe and sure way by resetting all of the setting in Drivepool and moving all the temp files to the Drivepool Drive Number

But I have done this procedure with fairly great success.

1. After Drivepool has been properly set, I reboot my system into safe mode.

2. I then take each drive that was in the Drivepool.  Move all of the data in the temp file to the PoolPart on that drive.

3. Reboot.

4. Let DrivePool crunch the drive and scan the partition.  It rebuilds the covefs and that drive with data is online.

Repeat.

I have gotten my system back up in a few hours that way and I have always been happy. Hope this helps.

BTW.  This is why Stablebit is better than the garbage Microsoft was peddling in their Ultimate Version.

Disconnect all drives that have DrivePool used and build you a fresh install. DONE

Do not install DrivePool until you have looked at each drive and verified the filesystem on each partition on the drives.

You can at that time move all files from the Hidden PoolPart to a Temp Filename.  Then delete the covefs ( I found that was important)

The problem was me trying to install older SSD's that per magician needed new drivers. I messed around too much. :rolleyes:

New OS is in, just about to connect the storage drives that have the pool, not sure I can move files as you suggest I have 2 x 6TB and 1x8TB and not enough space to move them although about 60% are duplicates.

I don't understand covefs I'll try to to send a screen shot or a file of what I can see.

OK I can see and access my drives. 

I see that .covefs has a folder (reparse) which is empty. That you suggest to delete?
Trying to send a screen shot of my drives (that didn't work) since I have some strangely named folders which state they are empty.

Example is my 8TB has 2 folders:

PoolPart.18037.... lots of alpaha numeric (AN)  - its empty.  dated 5/24/2107

PoolPart.da 12b ...... lots of AN  - with the folders: dated 10/08/2017

.covefs.

FileHistory

ServerFolders - full of my files.

3 AN folders - empty but dated from 10/2014

I have show hidden files turned on.

One of my 6TB HD's has the same empty folders from 2014, the other doesn't.

Should I be deleting these empty folders before installing DP? They seem to be left over from a previous install back in 2014

Sounds like the pool settings may have gotten corrupted.  If so, try this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2299585B

This will reset the settings, and may fix the issue that you're seeing. 

Hmm, I think I'm past that; now have the new OS installed and you see above some questions on removing old folders from my storage drives.  PS could you please reset my activation codes DP and Scanner at your end.

Had limited time so had to decide. Erased the files mentioned above.

DP recovered well, as expected.

In the process of changing the duplication just to be able to remove my 8TB drive and format to delete the unused folder that I cant get admin rights to - will format and return to pool and set Dupe to my normal ASAP.

Decided to give "us" a bonus and purchased a new 3 item license.

Chris can correct me if I'm wrong but COVEFS is or was a type of pointer in the Stable version of drive pool.

I never fully understood the reason it was used but all I know is if was left there when you moved all of the files from under the PoolPart, things happened and not the way you wanted.

Just to ease your mind.

Moving a file from a subdirectory does not cause the file to move.  Just the entry.

Moving a file to another drive letter DOES cause the file to move.

I have found that if I have made a mistake on settings and I have duplicates,  I can move the files from under the POOLPART, re-scan the Pool.

Then I can Move the files to the Drive Letter of the Pool.  the OC will catch the dups and you can make a decision on them.  Takes longer but it works.

I use CCleaner with the Duplicate Finder to weed out any duplicates that were created due to a messed up setting.  The problem is you have to do it while the files are not under the POOLPART.  and the drive must have been assigned a letter.  3 drives are not too much but 20 gets to get hard.

The ".covefs" is for some of the data that we store on the pool.

Primarily, at this point, this is where we store Reparse point information (symlinks, junctions, reparse points, etc).

Don't delete it, especially if you have any of the above on the pool. 

As for the PoolPart.xxxxxx folders, these are normal, and how the software stores the pooled information.   

The "xxxxxx" part is called a "GUID" and is a (mostly) unique hexidecimal string/number, created for each disk. 

Don't delete these folders... or the contents in them, as you will remove the pool.