Any information on this: StableBit FileSafe ?

Benoire

Question

Hi,

I've noticed on the roadmap an item called 'Stablebit FileSafe' due for release sometime this year... Any word on what this is?  I'd love real time parity protection using drivepools pooling system, rather than snapshot and I'm loathe to move to a competitor to achieve this and wondered whether filesafe was something similar to parity?

Just curious more than anything.

Cheers,

Chris

Unfortunately, no we can't really give you any more information about this product at this time.

Right now, developement hasn't really started on it at all. Alex is busy working on StableBit CloudDrive (and we are very close to getting that released). Once we are done with that, then we will focus on our other projects, like this one.

However, that said, we have discussed parity, and other related solutions, how they'd work with our products, and the like.

So a lot of pre-planning has been done for this. 

As soon as there is any more word about this, we'll post it here, or on the blog.

Unfortunately, no we can't really give you any more information about this product at this time.

Right now, developement hasn't really started on it at all. Alex is busy working on StableBit CloudDrive (and we are very close to getting that released). Once we are done with that, then we will focus on our other projects, like this one.

:( I've been waiting patiently for Filesafe.  If anything happens to my family photos, I'm afraid of what my wife may do to me.  But I'm sure you guys will hear about it in the news. 

:( I've been waiting patiently for Filesafe.  If anything happens to my family photos, I'm afraid of what my wife may do to me.  But I'm sure you guys will hear about it in the news. 

Well, once StableBit CloudDrive has been released, Alex should be able to devote much more time to working on StableBit FileSafe and other projects.

Hopefully, both will be soon.

Well, once StableBit CloudDrive has been released, Alex should be able to devote much more time to working on StableBit FileSafe and other projects.

Hopefully, both will be soon.

thanks fro the Reply,  just showing my enthusiasm for the product,  I have lots of backups, so it's all good for now.

thanks fro the Reply,  just showing my enthusiasm for the product,  I have lots of backups, so it's all good for now.

Well, thanks for showing the enthusiasm. While Alex may not see these right away, I usually do, and I do talk to alex directly about frequently requested features (we've talked a LOT about parity, RAID, compression and encryption). So we definitely do pay attention, and consider all the stuff you guys request and want.

@Christopher: Are there any news on CloudDrive? I am curious to test it  B)

We don't have an ETA. "Soon".  And Alex really wants to get it out very soon.

And don't forget, we need to change a bunch of stuff on teh website to add support for a third product, as well as licensing stuff, discount stuff, etc.  

But you'll definitely see changes to the forum, the main site, and a blog post about it when we're ready to release it.

Hi Chris

Do we have an eta on filesafe, I just picked up a couple of bad sectors on an old drive and scanner is unable to recover the 2 damaged files properly.

I find this annoying when there should be a perfect duplicate of the file is there anyway to add an option to scanner to simply replace the damaged files with the duplicates. I keep anything important backed up but even so it's annoying and frustrating when there is another copy of the file stored on the system. The only other way to force this which I have done and works is to pull the damaged drive and let drivepool reduplicate from the duplicates then format the drive and add it back to the pool all rather messy but it works.

Hi Chris

Do we have an eta on filesafe, I just picked up a couple of bad sectors on an old drive and scanner is unable to recover the 2 damaged files properly.

I find this annoying when there should be a perfect duplicate of the file is there anyway to add an option to scanner to simply replace the damaged files with the duplicates. I keep anything important backed up but even so it's annoying and frustrating when there is another copy of the file stored on the system. The only other way to force this which I have done and works is to pull the damaged drive and let drivepool reduplicate from the duplicates then format the drive and add it back to the pool all rather messy but it works.

Sorry, no ETA. Alex wanted to take a small break after CloudDrive because it's been a very intensive project (trust me, he deserves it!).  After that, well, he really wants it too, so he'll probably work on it very hard. Between the fact that it shouldn't be anywhere near as complex as CloudDrive (famous last works....), and other things Alex has said, hopefully the wait isn't too long at all.

But that really depends on how complex everything for StableBit FileSafe turns out to be. And what exactly we want/need to include with it (such as file system filters....)

As for replacing damaged files, that's part of what we (and by that I mean myself, and I will be pushing for it) want FileSafe to do. To help facilitate this sort of behavior. And not just with damaged files, but potentially corrupted files as well. 

As for fixing damaged sectors/files, deleting the file directly and remeasuring the pool (or even just accessing the files) should prompt DrivePool to reduplicate the files.

Additionally, running a chkdsk /r pass on the disk (add "/scan" if you're using WIndows 8 or server 2012 or up) should identify and fix these damaged sectors as well.

And this repair behavior is something that I know we want to fix as well. 

Awesome   B)

Can you post some teaser-screenshots?

*sigh*. 

I'll ask. I'd love to, but Alex gets final say on those.

That said, it's pretty awesome. It really compliments and fixes some of the issues with DrivePool. :) (enough teasers for you? :P)

I'm gonna throw this in here as I can't find a 'wishlist' area :-)

I've just moved back to Server 2012 R2 after testing out Xpenology and DSM 5.1.  The system is so friendly and easy to use but I had issues with drive expansions and wanted more control over the filesystem used.  Now, for parity protection I'm using flexraids t-raid and despite the good transfer speeds (88MB/s on copy including parity drive) the interface sucks and the pooling system is a little flaky.  I would love to see a parity system with drivepool integrated that has a decent webui that can do everything... Imagine DSM but running on top of windows (perhaps not the iSCSI bits but that would be cool too), with the ability to add drives, format them and then add them to the pool... All without touching the actual computer management section...

Have no idea if this is possible, or how hard it would be but wanted to put it out there as a suggestion :-)

Well, StableBit DrivePool and StableBit Scanner has remote management built into them.

You can install the software on another computer and remotely connect to another system. 

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Remote%20Control

As for iSCSI... it may not be as simple... but Server 2012R2 does include the feature, and you could set it up.

As well... :)

*sigh*. 

I'll ask. I'd love to, but Alex gets final say on those.

That said, it's pretty awesome. It really compliments and fixes some of the issues with DrivePool. :) (enough teasers for you? :P)

Almost  B) Do I also get an early-bird-asking-for-it-discount? You can prepare the license for me, I will buy it  B)

Almost  B) Do I also get an early-bird-asking-for-it-discount? You can prepare the license for me, I will buy it  B)

Well, it should follow our standard licensing model. If you own a copy any other products, you can get it at a discounted price, and multiple licenses for cheaper, as well.

Well, StableBit DrivePool and StableBit Scanner has remote management built into them.

You can install the software on another computer and remotely connect to another system. 

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Remote%20Control

As for iSCSI... it may not be as simple... but Server 2012R2 does include the feature, and you could set it up.

As well... :)

Hey Christopher,

I meant more of a webgui, I tend to run my servers headless and find a webgui quite easy... I guess I got spoilt slightly by Synology Disk Station Manager 5.1 and wondered if you had considered developing such a thing.  I'd happily pay good money for a drivepool/scanner based parity system with webgui and the ability to control HDDs (format, filesystem, etc.) within this interface.  Don't really need iSCSI, although the MS solution I just can't get to work with Xenserver 6.5 so I've got Starwind Virtual SAN instead... I'm just throwing this out there for thoughts, Flexraid is good for what it does but I'd discard it in a second for a stablebit product :-)

Well, I'll pass along the suggestion for a WebUI. :)

It's not a bad idea at all.

As for the parity based solution... It may be possible to integrate that into StableBit CloudDrive, actually. Though, I'm not sure if that would require a significant change to it, or not, but it was mentioned offhanded by Alex that it may be possible. (and i'm probably saying too much here....)

As for the iSCSI, yeah, the Microsoft feature is definitely  confusing. But the StarWind software is very good, IIRC.

Hi

I'd also pay for any of the upgrades we ask for Alex has a company to run and already gives us a lot for what we pay for so I for would be happy to Pay for the parity and filesafe programs, infact I would be happy to pay for new versions of drivepool and scanner just had to for the new version Ihomeserver.